Going back out

MUP

Going back out

Post by MUP »

Taking my daughter with me to shoot her Wolf for the first time, and also to shoot my ML again, both with new pyrodex. The tale will be told today whether I'll need a new smokepole or not I reckon.
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
caretaker
10 Point

Re: Going back out

Post by caretaker »

May your shots be true!!
I`m just here for the girl`s wet teeshirt and mud wrestling contest.

M.T. Pockets
Smokyrider
10 Point

Post by Smokyrider »

Could try Blackhorn 209, the CVA wolf I had shot good with it and my CVA optima shoots well with it too. Used pyrodex in the past and didn't do good for me, seemed the leftover residue from each shot affected the sabot differently each time and took more and more effort to seat it to the same depth possibly changing the pressure/velocity each time. With Blackhorn 209 the sabot seats the same every time and there isn't any residue build up after a string of shots.

If you clean after every shot of pyrodex then you can probably get good groups, I favor Blackhorn 209 because I can weight it so that each charge is exactly the same with no variance from going by volume, I think this lends to slightly better accuracy. YMMV.

Also Blackhorn 209 is the only blackpowder substitute approved in the Maxim 50, a silenced muzzleloader from SilencerCo, probably because it burns clean enough not the crud up the baffles.
MUP

Post by MUP »

I've tried BH 209 before in my Kodiak Mag and it just doesn't ignite consistently. Have to modify the BP to get it to work. A new BH BP is also needed for the new Wolf even to provide consistency when using BH. I plan to modify a BP I picked up for her Wolf yesterday to be able to use BH tho, and I also plan to make myself a new designed BP for my Kodiak, bc I reckon they don't make one for it. Either that or I'll modify the one I have. I'm still going to use pyrodex this season tho regardless bc it's too late in the year for me to get all that's needed finished up to be able to use the BH. I've also never had a ftf using pyrodex and have had excellent consistency with it, and swabbing between shots is required for sure to clean the crud ring out for consistent seating and firing. I love smokepole season! :D
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
ImThere
10 Point

Post by ImThere »

Mup have you ever tried white hots? My buddy uses them and won’t switch for anything. I watched him put a bottled water down the barrel and it all washed down the end. I was impressed to say the least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tree Saddle hunters_R_us on Tapatalk bored
MUP

Post by MUP »

Dang, that is impressive. I would consider them if not for being pellets. I'm partial to loose powder and being able to measure and weigh the charges.
Tennessee Lead
10 Point

Post by Tennessee Lead »

I need some bullets and powder so I can shoot mine soon

"A hunt based only on the trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be" - Fred Bear
MUP

Post by MUP »

Didn't your wife get a Wolf TL? What bullet/powder combo are you using?
Tennessee Lead
10 Point

Post by Tennessee Lead »

Yes I did.
I need to dump a quick load to confirm IIRC I used 80 grains of BH209 and a junky power belt to use them up. It shoots really good.

"A hunt based only on the trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be" - Fred Bear
Tennessee Lead
10 Point

Post by Tennessee Lead »

245 grain power belt

MUP

Post by MUP »

Weighed charge or by volume?
Tennessee Lead
10 Point

Post by Tennessee Lead »

Volume
I don't have a scale yet

MUP

Post by MUP »

Well, finally went out yesterday, wo my daughter, just couldn't get it done last weekend, so had to postpone it till yesterday. Wolf is shooting good groups with 60 gr wt of Pyro, and I got my Kodiak to grouping with a fouled barrel and 77 gr wt of Pyro. I'm still planning to try the BH209 after I get the BP in that I or-dered, and modify it, especially for my Kodiak. If it likes a fouled barrel, then shooting BH209 will be ideal I believe b/c I can leave it dry and fouled and not have to worry about corrosion thru the entire season.

Both guns ended up with 2-1/4" 3 shot groups at 90 yds btw.