Not sure what to do....

BirdDog525
10 Point

Not sure what to do....

Post by BirdDog525 »

So story on this car... Its a 1972 GMC Sprint (not an El Camino!). They didn't make them very long in the 70s. This was my dads ride. He bought from his BIL in the late 80s I believe. It didn't have a motor and it was primer grey. Dad was a car guy and I guess he's the reason why I also love old cars. He put a 350 in it and remodeled the whole thing and drove it as his everyday ride. He actually created the paint color (it used to have a metallic sparkle in it but its faded a bit over the years.) He rear ended someone, and put a SMALL dent in the hood and got so upset he parked it lol. It sat around for a bit and when I was about 14 I told him I wanted it to be mine when I turned 16. He was so tickled that I had interest in it (cause my brother thought it was hideous and wanted something new to drive) We were going to start working on it together right at the time he got sick with cancer... Long story short, he passed pretty quickly. And the car has pretty much been sitting since 2004. I've started it and drove it short distances just to keep it running, tried to keep it clean and would sit in it a lot and think about dad and how I wished I could get it back on the road! I took it to my grandfathers garage to keep it safe. the longer is sat the worse shape it became. In 2010 or 2011 me and my granddad took the transmission out and had it rebuilt. I shined up the wheels and got new tires put on, did some work under the hood and made a list of all the things that it needed. Well, about that time my uncle died (my granddads step son who lived with them) and put a stop to all our work. We never touched it again, and now my granddad has been gone almost 2 years, and its sitting right where we left it. My family wants me to sell it, but I just cant part with it. It doesn't mean much to anyone but me. I don't have the means or money to get it back on the road. What the heck do I do???
Attachments
10.jpg
10.jpg (143.33 KiB) Viewed 11875 times
8.jpg
8.jpg (174.77 KiB) Viewed 11876 times
7.jpg
7.jpg (140.28 KiB) Viewed 11876 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (70.97 KiB) Viewed 11876 times
13.jpg
13.jpg (61.01 KiB) Viewed 11876 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (104.18 KiB) Viewed 11876 times
Steward.of.HIS.Land
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Re: Not sure what to do....

Post by WG Taxidermist »

That is sharp as a tack!!! I think you should keep it myself. I believe if you ever sell it youll regret it but thats just my opinion.

Sent from somewhere in the sticks using Tapatalk
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
BirdDog525
10 Point

Post by BirdDog525 »

WG Taxidermist wrote:That is sharp as a tack!!! I think you should keep it myself. I believe if you ever sell it youll regret it but thats just my opinion.

Thanks. I want to keep it too. Just don't know what to do with it. Its sitting in my grandparents garage. And now that my graddad is gone, theres talk of selling everything and putting my grandmother in an assisted living place cause she just cant take care of everything. And if that happens, ill have to go get my car, and we have no place to keep it. I just hate to see it sit there and rot away. Nobody in the family thinks its worth holding on to... except me of course. My dream is to have it restored and drive it around on Sundays. Cant see the extra money happening for that kind of project. I guess I don't want to let it go, cause its the only thing I really have of my dads, and theres a lot of memories with it. Inthedoghouse dosent seem to be on my side either ;(
Steward.of.HIS.Land
huntinkev
10 Point

Post by huntinkev »

keep it. You will find somewhere to store it until you can start work on it.
BirdDog525
10 Point

Post by BirdDog525 »

Its tough to be broke and out of family members that are mechanically inclined! I've thought about asking a few of my dads friends to help me, I'm sure they would love to, but I just hate to ask! Problem is, all his friends are only getting older!
Steward.of.HIS.Land
leader
Site Admin

Post by leader »

Find one of your Dads friends and see if they can help you. If it were closer you could put it in my barn.
Hate to see you let it go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only dumb questions are those never asked!!!!
in the dog house!
Site Admin

Post by in the dog house! »

That's the problem. If we had a place to store it. I don't want to just leave it out in the yard somewhere to rot. We have a small circle drive with a metal carport and really only room for our 2 trucks. I'd love for her to keep it but no clue what to do with it. Eventually if we stay we will have a shop, but it would be to far gone by then. We will figure something out.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plan

Μολων λαβε

owlcreek
10 Point

Post by owlcreek »

What's wrong with it, does it run, drive? No way I would let it go without a fight. 72 is before all the computer cars. I could have the beauty on the road in half a day. Inthedoghouse do not let this leave the family rent a storage building, cone park it in my garage I'll fix it......

listen ..........God is talking he said use jackstands......
owlcreek
10 Point

Post by owlcreek »

Where you located and where is it?

BirdDog525
10 Point

Post by BirdDog525 »

owlcreek wrote:What's wrong with it, does it run, drive? No way I would let it go without a fight. 72 is before all the computer cars. I could have the beauty on the road in half a day. Inthedoghouse do not let this leave the family rent a storage building, cone park it in my garage I'll fix it......

It hasn't been started since these pics were taken in 2010 or 11. I backed it into the garage, it was a little rough running but it started right up. I'm not exactly sure what all it will need to be road ready. I know we had the trans rebuilt, but honestly cant remember if it got put back in! I'm sure it needs a lot of seals, gaskets and fluids. I remember we got some new shiny valve covers for it, and I have an extra hood for it. If I remember correctly my granddad and I put new brakes and rotors on it. Its tires are ok, its been sitting on blocks.

Right now it is Guthrie KY at my grandparents, right outside of Clarksville where we are from. Inthedoghouse and I live right outside of Ripley.
Steward.of.HIS.Land
BirdDog525
10 Point

Post by BirdDog525 »

BirdDog525 wrote:
owlcreek wrote:What's wrong with it, does it run, drive? No way I would let it go without a fight. 72 is before all the computer cars. I could have the beauty on the road in half a day. Inthedoghouse do not let this leave the family rent a storage building, cone park it in my garage I'll fix it......

It hasn't been started since these pics were taken in 2010 or 11. I backed it into the garage, it was a little rough running but it started right up. I'm not exactly sure what all it will need to be road ready. I know we had the trans rebuilt, but honestly cant remember if it got put back in! I'm sure it needs a lot of seals, gaskets and fluids. I remember we got some new shiny valve covers for it, and I have an extra hood for it. If I remember correctly my granddad and I put new brakes and rotors on it. Its tires are ok, its been sitting on blocks.

Right now it is Guthrie KY at my grandparents, right outside of Clarksville where we are from. Inthedoghouse and I live right outside of Ripley.
And thanks for backing me up ;)
Steward.of.HIS.Land
owlcreek
10 Point

Post by owlcreek »

BirdDog525 wrote:
BirdDog525 wrote:

Do not let that car leave your life, you'll regret it forever.

WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

owlcreek wrote:
BirdDog525 wrote:
BirdDog525 wrote:

Do not let that car leave your life, you'll regret it forever.

X2!!!Get it to Owlcreeks place and Ill go up and help him get it going.

Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
in the dog house!
Site Admin

Post by in the dog house! »

Man you guys are awesome.

We will see what it's going to take to get it on the road if we can.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plan

Μολων λαβε

caretaker
10 Point

Post by caretaker »

that is a diamond in the rough. One of a kind probably. I am 64 years old and can remember only see one on the road. Well worth storing until it can be fixed up.
I`m just here for the girl`s wet teeshirt and mud wrestling contest.

M.T. Pockets
BirdDog525
10 Point

Post by BirdDog525 »

I surely don't want to hinder anyone with this lil project!
Steward.of.HIS.Land
sdw
10 Point

Post by sdw »

BirdDog525 wrote:I surely don't want to hinder anyone with this lil project!
WG needs something to keep him busy so he'll quit changing the color of my name. Great bunch of guys here to offer to help out! I hope you can get it running and drive it on Sunday's.
MUP

Post by MUP »

Definitely a classic, even if it is a cheevy. :D I'd try my best to keep it, and drive it! Burnout once a month mandatory! ;)
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
owlcreek
10 Point

Post by owlcreek »

What did y'all decide, if you decide to not keep it let me know.

BirdDog525
10 Point

Post by BirdDog525 »

owlcreek wrote:

I haven't revisited the situation any more. I'm definitely going to keep it. Just kinda seeing what is going to happen with my grandma and the house. She's not doing well and we may have to put her in a home and sell the house and everything. I'll really have to focus on what to do with the car if this happens, seeing how its sitting in the her garage.
Steward.of.HIS.Land
owlcreek
10 Point

Post by owlcreek »

BirdDog525 wrote:
owlcreek wrote:

I haven't revisited the situation any more. I'm definitely going to keep it. Just kinda seeing what is going to happen with my grandma and the house. She's not doing well and we may have to put her in a home and sell the house and everything. I'll really have to focus on what to do with the car if this happens, seeing how its sitting in the her garage.
Understand, I'm looking for something for me and the boys to tinker with. That's a special car.

leader
Site Admin

Post by leader »

Whatever happened with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only dumb questions are those never asked!!!!
BirdDog525
10 Point

Post by BirdDog525 »

Well I've been thinking about the car lately. And having this thing fully restored is no longer just a wish! We're able to start saving specifically for the restoration and I hope to have it for my 30th bday.. Little less than a yr n a half away. God has blessed us more than we deserve lately... And can't believe were actually gonna do it!!
Steward.of.HIS.Land
MUP

Post by MUP »

Awesome! Congrats on getting to keep and restore it!
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.