oil injection tank

caretaker
10 Point

oil injection tank

Post by caretaker »

I have a 40 horse Evinrude 2 stroke motor. It has an oil injection system that draws off of a external tank. I left the boat at a friends because I did not have a place to keep it. The tarp failed and water got in the boat and the oil injection tank. I know I can take the tank loose from the motor and clean it out along with the supply hose. I plan to dump the oil water mixture in a bucket and clean out the tank. What would be best to clean the tank with? Also do I need to remove the filter from the tank to clean it or would it be best to replace the filter? I really can`t afford to replace the tank as they run from $150 to 200 for a new one and around half that for a used one on E-bay.
I`m just here for the girl`s wet teeshirt and mud wrestling contest.

M.T. Pockets
7mminatree
8 Point

Re: oil injection tank

Post by 7mminatree »

I would use kerosene, plug up all holes and shake it good, drain out the kerosene and then use alcohol doing the same process and then let it air dry. New filter for sure.
sdw
10 Point

oil injection tank

Post by sdw »

I would replace the filter when cleaning it out. If I'm not mistaken, those tanks gravity feed to a pump that mixes the needed oil with the gas. Since water will be at the bottom, I'd be afraid it had fed down into the pump too. I would purge the pump to make sure nothing but clean oil is coming through. I think you're supposed to run a 50:1 premix in the gas if the pump has been removed until you see that its operating again. Another option would be to just remove the oil system and run premix all the time. I don't know much about oil injection 2 strokes so you may want to get advice from someone that has more experience with them.
caretaker
10 Point

Re: oil injection tank

Post by caretaker »

Yea it`s definitely got a good bit of water and white sludge in the bottom of that tank. I will replace the filter for sure. I had planned to use kerosene or maybe parts/cleaner. I like the idea of the alcohol. I had not thought of that. I don`t know much about bypassing the oil injection system and going to premix. Sure don`t want to lock this motor up. I will test it with muffs before taking it back on the water.
I`m just here for the girl`s wet teeshirt and mud wrestling contest.

M.T. Pockets