Full circle

caretaker
10 Point

Full circle

Post by caretaker »

I guess I might have been a little more fortunate than some. My mammaw on my mom`s side lived with her brother in a cabin on Ft. Loudon lake in the concord area. My memory is kinda hazy because I was very young maybe 7 years old. I remember fishing from a dock in front of the cabin and one down a gravel road in a small cove. I remember sharing metal fishing rods with push button reels with my cousins. We used short cane poles when not using the fancy stuff. I also spent time on point 19 before it grew into a place I no longer go. I.B. and I use to go up there with his dad back before you could take a vehicle in there. Well, least ways not a vehicle you cared about. As we got older I.B. and I would stay up there in a tent or under a tarp. The only transportation we had was an old boat with an antique 18 hp evinrude. We were checked on about every other day. Back then I had a trusty ol Shakespear Wondercast reel and rod combo. Then one spring I was asked do you want to go walleye fishing with me by my dad. I jumped at the chance. He then presented me with a Ted Williams rod decked out with an open face 301 mitchell reel. Sadly those rods and reels are lost to history. Just flat out wore out and thrown away. Now I have several Ugly sticks with various reels. A night striker combo that you put batteries in the handle so the tip lights up for night fishing. A heddon mark brute with a mitchell 301. Oh, I also have dad`s old fly rod. I have fished and camped all over east tn. I have had several boats. I have fished tournaments but the most enjoyable fishing is just no pressure fishing from my chair on the bank or from my boat. The older I have become the more the kid in me enjoys catching a bream with a push button combo.
I`m just here for the girl`s wet teeshirt and mud wrestling contest.

M.T. Pockets
leader
Site Admin

Re: Full circle

Post by leader »

Awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only dumb questions are those never asked!!!!
caretaker
10 Point

Post by caretaker »

What memories do you have of fishing?
I`m just here for the girl`s wet teeshirt and mud wrestling contest.

M.T. Pockets
MUP

Post by MUP »

Dang ct, I don't fish anymore bc all my local "used to's" have been cordoned off within the confines of hunting leases around here. That was mostly the "stripped pits" , mining gorges that had filled with water over years, and had been stocked by local fishermen with bass and bluegill, and one of the leading stockers was my Dad. He had worked in those mines and had created many of those fishing holes, and subsequently helped stock them by hand with fish he had caught from other areas. My Dad was a die-hard fisherman, and would take me around the area with him when I was younger, to places like Rock Island state park, Tims Ford, FCFSP, and the like, but my favorite and fondest memories were when we'd go to the ol stripped pits. Later on in life, and working on my own, 3rd shift would end and I'd come home, grab my tackle box and rod and reels, and head out to the "pits". It was there one early morning that I had one of my best mornings back in the 80's. Using a pig n jig, I caught a bass, fresh off the bed. Then a male that was with her. The female, worn and ragged from the bedding cycle, weighed 6-1/4 lb, and the male 4-1/2. I could put my fist in the mouth of that old gal and move around at least a half inch per side! Many many good trips were had out there in and around those "pits" courtesy of my Dad. I could tell several stories just related to fishing just at the "pits". Good times, dangerous and really snakey, but some of the best memories I have of my life were made there.
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.