Imminent DISSappointment?

Place to share - learn - ask information about reloading
MUP

Imminent DISSappointment?

Post by MUP »

Got the call back from Remington regarding my ftf primer issue with their LR primers. I was told that my primers were seated .008-.010" below the case face, which is .003-.005" below industry standards. These primers had a crater indentation from the firing pin in them, and were struck no less than 3 times in an attempt to get them to fire. I'm no dummy, and I deal in thousandth's of an inch every day, so if .003" is the reason these primers didn't fire, then I won't be buying anymore of them from now on anyway. Very disappointed in Remington CS.

Also, I've loaded .223, hundreds of them, with Remington SR primers with not one single issue or ftf, and since the LR primer deal, have switched over to CCI LR primers in my 06 and 300WSM, and have fired hundreds of rounds combined from these rifles, also with no issues. I can't help but see what I think is the obvious crux here, that something is off with at LEAST this batch of primers. Rant off.
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
7mminatree
8 Point

Re: Imminent DISSappointment?

Post by 7mminatree »

Remington spin, bad QC on their part. If the firing pin makes a reasonable dent, it should go bang.
MUP

Post by MUP »

The head of product management sent me a text last night. He said he agrees with me that the primers should fire at .008" deep, but wanted me to do an experiment by loading them only .002-.005" deep. He also said nonetheless, they will reimburse me. I'm thinking that QC and product testing is their area, not mine. And I've already done that actually, by trying a different primer, and using the same cases, powder, and bullets, I've determined that the issue lies with the Remington primer.
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
caretaker
10 Point

Post by caretaker »

ok, you are talking tolerances that I can`t see. .002 - .005 .008 of an inch. Yep , my ol eyes can spot that. "Not" I do good spot a 1/8 of an inch and more likely 1/4 to 1/2 doing wood work.

Just sounds to me like Remington got their powder wet in that batch of primers.
I`m just here for the girl`s wet teeshirt and mud wrestling contest.

M.T. Pockets
MUP

Post by MUP »

Well I've since sent an email to the "customer experience" rep, and that was on June 15th. He promptly replied that, if I give him some time that be will investigate the matter for me. I sent him the pics of the junk ammo they sent me as an amends for my troubles. Still haven't heard back from him. Good grief, looks like pathetic-ness runs broad in Remington country these days. :(
7mminatree
8 Point

Post by 7mminatree »

Pathetic :x
MUP

Post by MUP »

Well, after a friend who works for Remington contacted me again today, he asked me to send my correspondence that I've had with the service personnel up to this point to another higher up in management. I did, and boy did things get rolling quickly! He replied, asking me what size ammo I had been sent, 150 or 180 gr, and asked if I had any pics of the damaged ammo I could send him. I replied yes sir, and sent him the pic. He then replied that he sees what I'm referring to, and asked for my mailing address, that he would clear this up quickly. After I sent him my mailing info, he informed me that he was sending me 5 boxes of premiere 180 gr 300 WinMag ammo, and that it would ship from their MS distribution center on Monday. 5 boxes...I replied that this is more than I should expect, but that I really appreciated it. He replied "Thank you sir", and then asked for my pH # for UPS in case they needed to call me regarding shipping issues. After getting such pitiful service before, I'm waiting to see the ammo before I feel satisfied, but hopeful this is the end of this saga. Will report back on this next week when the ammo arrives...
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

Glad you are finally getting a resolution to the problem!

Sent from somewhere in the sticks using Tapatalk
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
sdw
10 Point

Post by sdw »

WG Taxidermist wrote:Glad you are finally getting a resolution to the problem!

Sent from somewhere in the sticks using Tapatalk
hopefully it will turn out good! Sure took long enough.