Next up...

Place to share - learn - ask information about reloading
MUP

Next up...

Post by MUP »

is the 300 WinMag. I shot some factory ammo out of it last weekend, and you can sure tell the difference between it and the 300WSM I'll say that! :shock: It's obviously had the trigger worked on, as it's under a pound pull! I mean, when you touch the trigger, the next amount of pressure you put on it and it's gone! I safety checked it by bouncing it on the floor, pulling the trigger when the safety was on, then releasing the safety, and slamming the bolt hard several times, but still couldn't get it to break. So I guess it's safe. The old Walker style it is. It does break nice and clean, and no creep, but dang I'd really rather have a couple lbs pull for a hunting rig. The screws have been staked so I couldn't adjust it at all.
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
caretaker
10 Point

Re: Next up...

Post by caretaker »

I`m with you on the trigger pull on a hunting rifle or shotgun. It took a bit of getting use to but I truly love the accutrigger on my savage 243. Now I do have a couple of B & C revolvers that have a light trigger pull.
I`m just here for the girl`s wet teeshirt and mud wrestling contest.

M.T. Pockets
leader
Site Admin

Post by leader »

That's a mans caliber if shooting it often!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only dumb questions are those never asked!!!!
7mminatree
8 Point

Post by 7mminatree »

Steve, do the same test you did, but do it with a fired case in the chamber. Rack the action hard on closing to see if you can get the sear to slam fire. It's been my experience with walker triggers on the model 700's that anything under three pounds is potentially dangerous. I've adjusted hundreds of those things over the years and can tell that 3 lbs. is the "threshold". On a side note: When it gets cold this winter, set the gun outside on a very cold day and repeat the test. You know metal contracts in lower temps and what may seem a no fault trigger in warm conditions may be a fail when it's very cold. And test them every year as well.
caretaker
10 Point

Post by caretaker »

7mminatree wrote:Steve, do the same test you did, but do it with a fired case in the chamber. Rack the action hard on closing to see if you can get the sear to slam fire. It's been my experience with walker triggers on the model 700's that anything under three pounds is potentially dangerous. I've adjusted hundreds of those things over the years and can tell that 3 lbs. is the "threshold". On a side note: When it gets cold this winter, set the gun outside on a very cold day and repeat the test. You know metal contracts in lower temps and what may seem a no fault trigger in warm conditions may be a fail when it's very cold. And test them every year as well.
I have never thought about any of this but it makes sense.

M.T. Pockets
MUP

Post by MUP »

Will do Finn. I do have a nervous feeling each time I chamber a round in it. It's just too light. I read that there is only .004" contact between the sear and the trigger anyway, and that ain't a lot! I was just thinking how dang hard that metal has to be treated to be able to hold the edge for just .004" w/o wearing out within a few months of fire.
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
caretaker
10 Point

Post by caretaker »

Me thinks me would get that trigger adjusted. ?? .004 of an inch ?? uuummmmm I don`t think I could see that even with my +250 power dollar tree readin glasses. Yall play with tolerances I can`t even imagine.

M.T. Pockets
MUP

Post by MUP »

The trigger pull screw has been staked ct. I couldn't get it to turn at all, so it's set permanently, unless I drill it out. I think I'll be very careful and work up a load for it with this "match" trigger, than replace it with an aftermarket one once I get it shootin' like I want.
MUP

Post by MUP »

Well, placed a spent case in the chamber and slammed the pssst out of it, still no break over. Dang, it seems safe but good gosh it's terribly light.
MUP

Post by MUP »

Well, apparently I'm just not used to a good trigger. The trigger pulled at about 2 lb, and still tests safe, and nice and crisp. What I thought was oz was 2 lb, maybe a little more as the scale I had only measured that far. I have ordered a trigger pull scale so I'll be able to tell exactly what it reads now, and, also be able to tell how horrible my other rifles triggers are! :D
caretaker
10 Point

Post by caretaker »

Lol. I can live with a 2 pound pull. A 2oz pull. Uh I don't think so

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

M.T. Pockets
7mminatree
8 Point

Post by 7mminatree »

Just be careful, point in safe direction ALWAYS. I ran 2.5 lbs. on my .308 for 35+ years, but it started slam firing back in 2010. Backed it off to 3.5 lbs. which you could hardly tell the difference, and it seems fine. But, don't trust anything is the best policy IMO. On a side note, I've seen a few Timney's on Savages slamfire as well. Keep them muzzles point in a safe direction folks!!!!
MUP

Post by MUP »

Always buddy!
MUP

Post by MUP »

Well, my trigger scale came in yesterday and I tested the trigger pull on the WinMag, and also the Tikka 7-08 I have. The WinMag pulled at 2 lb, just a tad over at times, but the Tikka pulled at a super light 1-1//4 lb! I knew I was going to adjust it, but dang didn't know it was that light!
MUP

Post by MUP »

WSM is now adjusted down from 6lb to right at 3lb. Maybe that'll help with the groupings a little more!