DIY Hunting Laundry Powders

Tennessee Lead
10 Point

DIY Hunting Laundry Powders

Post by Tennessee Lead »

I made a reply last night to a post on TNdeer that got me thinking I should share this with you guys. It may save you some money and it is satisfying to me to do things myself.

I made my own washing powder for my deer hunting clothes for the last 2 seasons. It is cheaper and works really well.

I use 20 Mule Team Borax, Washing soda and Baking soda. I mix all three of these together in equal parts stirring as I go it can get a little hard to do as it gets deeper in the bucket. Then I wash with this mixture just like normal powders. It leaves no scent and helps to neutralize odor as well has no UV brighteners. If I feel my clothes are real dirty I will squirt a little of the H.S. Body wash in with my powders. It saves me some money because I normally wash my entire outfit after each hunt. The store bought products are rather pricey and not a lot if it. This mixture will get me through the season.
"A hunt based only on the trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be" - Fred Bear
MUP

Re: DIY Hunting Laundry Powders

Post by MUP »

What is the "washing soda"? I'm familiar with the other two ingredients, but not sure about that one. :?:
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
280longshot
6 Point

Post by 280longshot »

I think my wife does the same
Tennessee Lead
10 Point

Post by Tennessee Lead »

MUP wrote:What is the "washing soda"? I'm familiar with the other two ingredients, but not sure about that one. :?:
Arm and Hammer washing soda is kinda like a heavy duty version of baking soda. It's used in laundry. With so many women making their on powders now most of these items are located close together in the stores nowadays.
"A hunt based only on the trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be" - Fred Bear
Inkstainz
8 Point

Post by Inkstainz »

Well we have made laundry detergent at the house but we add in some pure fabric softener crystals and some oxide clean detergent. Usually lasts 3 months or more.

Sent from this newfangled contraption
AllOutdoors
10 Point

Post by AllOutdoors »

The wifey makes ours. She makes some sent free for me during deer season.

Sent from this smart thigamajig using tapatalk.
MUP

Post by MUP »

Cool! Thanks for posting TL!
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
Phil1979
10 Point

Post by Phil1979 »

Cool
Tennessee Lead
10 Point

Post by Tennessee Lead »

Your welcome
RutMan
6 Point

Post by RutMan »

My wife has been making ours, but not scent free. Will get her to make some of it for my hunting clothes and gear. Thanks.
AllOutdoors
10 Point

Post by AllOutdoors »

Thanks for posting! It sure does help on the pocket book.

Sent from this smart thigamajig using tapatalk.
La Man
Spike

Post by La Man »

My wife started making our soap earlier this year.
TyTX
Button

Post by TyTX »

I make scent masking laundry detergent with a little goat milk soap added to cover my scent with a "friendly" scent.

You may want to eliminate fabric softeners from both the washer and dryer as they accentuate IR images. You might also consider hanging your hunting clothes to dry as laundry scents accumulate in the dryer and can transfer back to your clothes. I even run an empty washer load with some ammonia and vinegar to clear accumulated scents before washing hunting clothes.