DIY whitetail or mulie hunt

tn_droptine
Button

DIY whitetail or mulie hunt

Post by tn_droptine »

I've been wanting to plan a DIY hunt for either whitetail or mulies for a while now, I figure I will be able to in about two years. What areas should I be looking into? I guess the main things I would look for is ease of getting a tag, animal population (not really looking for a trophy hunt, just a nice buck and the experience for my first trip), availability of land to hunt, etc.
TNHunter's long-range sniper, shooting out posts from across the big pond
poser
Button

Re: DIY whitetail or mulie hunt

Post by poser »

2 suggestions: OTC tag in CO. You'll have to research units, pick one based on success rates and what kind of terrain you think you can handle. You'll have to contend with elk hunters and elk hunter outfitters.

AZ: you have 2 years. Start building priority points for a muzzleloader hunt. You should get drawn within a couple of years if you are reasonable in your choices and aren't focused on trophy units. Or, you can go OTC archery. I believe that in both states, your deer tag is good for either a whitetail or a mule deer. In AZ, it's also good for cous deer. Both states have ample public land and less complex and confusing regs than Mt or WY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
Wild Bill
10 Point

Post by Wild Bill »

Good info Posser. Sounds like you have experience in this.
Inkstainz
8 Point

Post by Inkstainz »

Yea good info for sure

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
BAMA BOW MERKER
Button

Post by BAMA BOW MERKER »

I went to WY last October for Mule deer. Was drawn the first year, and my tag was good for whitetail as well. I was only able to hunt one day do to health reasons but I'll be going back for sure.
tn_droptine
Button

Post by tn_droptine »

BAMA BOW MERKER wrote:I went to WY last October for Mule deer. Was drawn the first year, and my tag was good for whitetail as well. I was only able to hunt one day do to health reasons but I'll be going back for sure.
I'm guessing since it was in October it was a bow hunt?
BAMA BOW MERKER
Button

Post by BAMA BOW MERKER »

No it was a gun hunt. Supposed to be Oct 1-4. I was in southwest WY. Just south of Lander. Had a good time, just had to spend 2 days in the hospital due to a random seizure.
tn_droptine
Button

Post by tn_droptine »

BAMA BOW MERKER wrote:No it was a gun hunt. Supposed to be Oct 1-4. I was in southwest WY. Just south of Lander. Had a good time, just had to spend 2 days in the hospital due to a random seizure.
Man, sorry to hear that - I do like the sound of an early season gun hunt like that tho, thanks for the info!
TwoThumbsUp
Button

Post by TwoThumbsUp »

I'll be heading to WY in October to hunt mule deer. Me and a buddy drew second choice tags in a unit with a good amount of public land. There will be whitetails in the area also, but I've killed plenty of those already and don't really have an interest when there are mule deer around.

If you are planning a hunt in 2 years and want to bowhunt, CO is where I'd be looking into. Really good units can be drawn with 0-2 points and the high country hunts start at the end of August. I have 2 points for there now and will be doing a high country hunt next year (if the draw gods cooperate).
lorenewing
Button

Post by lorenewing »

Hi.. If you really want to go for whitetail deer hunting or publicmule deer hunting you need to know the best techniques for hunting. I would also like hunting and I prepare hunting camp for it.Thanks.