COVER FOOD SEX

mike243
10 Point

COVER FOOD SEX

Post by mike243 »

Can there be any other factor other than those listed that affects range shift? human intrusion always plays a part every day and I don't consider that a part of the range shift at this time.It may be a learned behavior but to be ingrained in the short time that man has had hunting seasons and only went forth to kill them in the fall is a large stretch imo, Daylight time and length has been talked about for ever and is a real possibility as time of year can be told by it. I hope some of the mystery's of the wild will never be unlocked to make it easier to pattern animals and lead to over harvesting/extinction . I prefer to be like a kid at Christmas morning ,seeing pictures of whats on a property is great but is akin to looking at a sears catalog with all the great stuff you can order but don't have the $ :lol: .I would love to kill a Huge deer but I wont set around waiting for years on end.I have crossed paths with 2 giants and hit and lost 1 and missed another,not too good of odds for almost 40 years of looking for deer in all the wrong places :( .But I have enjoyed every day out there and most of them have been 0 sightings,I have seen nature play out in front of me and not on the TV and would not change it for no amount of $
caretaker
10 Point

Re: COVER FOOD SEX

Post by caretaker »

I have often wondered just how much human intrusion actually has on animals. Many animals not only learn to cohabitate with humans but actually thrive. Treerats, birds, possums,coons "Yotes" and yes even deer have come to live and even thrive in some residential areas. So what is the key. Over the years I have seen areas go from no deer, to some deer to covered with deer to no deer and then back to covered with deer all within 4 to 6 years. I do know that deer can read and know when hunting season starts.
I`m just here for the girl`s wet teeshirt and mud wrestling contest.

M.T. Pockets
MUP

Post by MUP »

I would add herd dynamics to the equation I believe. Bucks disperse bc they can't hang together for testosterone levels rising and the need to defend their territory I think, so dominant bucks force younger bucks to leave in search of their own little place to hang out. :)
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
mike243
10 Point

Post by mike243 »

Sex covers that part ;) same same even in humans lol
Diehard
10 Point

Post by Diehard »

Are you talking about seasonal range shifts (which all deer do I response to resources) or walk abouts during the rut?

If we focus on the walk abouts, then there is a genetic (evolutionary) basis for this behavior. It increases fitness by decreasing inbreeding.

As for other factors that may affect the range of a particular animal, there have been several studies on hunting pressure. From what I have gathered, the animal doesn't leave the area, they decrease their range and change the times of movement.

One factor I have not looked at in depth, but I think is playing more and more of a role in where deer can be found is predation.

You said you have been hunting 40 years....when you began hunting, there were very few predators preying on deer in Tennessee. That has changed significantly with the expansion of the coyote population. I think the presence of predators in a particular area can cause deer to avoid that area.

Another is competition. I have noticed on multiple occasions that when hogs move into an area, the deer quit using that area. I am assuming it is because most of the preferred food sources are getting eaten by the hogs, but I have no data to back that claim up.
Suck it up.....buttercup!
mike243
10 Point

Post by mike243 »

Range shift specifically
sdw
10 Point

Post by sdw »

Im no biologist but I'd say Diehard has 2 great points about predation and competition.
MUP

Post by MUP »

:D Diehard is a biologist, so I'd say he has excellent points as well! :D
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
sdw
10 Point

Post by sdw »

MUP wrote::D Diehard is a biologist, so I'd say he has excellent points as well! :D
I didn't know Image
MUP

Post by MUP »

He's a good'un too! That's why we have the biologist forum here so he can set us straight from our wayward upbringing! ;) :lol: