I warned him!

Huntaholic
10 Point

I warned him!

Post by Huntaholic »

After my Mom passed away in 1996 my Dad remarried and the lady he married had an 8 yr old son at the time so my Dad raised him and even though hes not blood kin, I still think of him and treat him as if he is. Hes a fine young man and just before MZ season opened he asked me if he could borrow my Savage. Of course I let him use it, but it came with the express warning that EVERYBODY I had ever let use that gun, ended up buying one.
Fast forward to this morning and he used it to kill a pretty good 8pt at about 225 yards. LOL he sent me a pic, telling me about the hunt, and asked me if I would sell the gun! I TRIED TO WARN HIM! .rolling.
Tngrizzly_

Re: I warned him!

Post by Tngrizzly_ »

So did you sale it?
GOD, Family, and the Great Outdoors. What more can a Man Want
sharpshooter
6 Point

Post by sharpshooter »

That's great!! Sounds like a heck of a rifle, what is the max range of it?
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Tngrizzly_ wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:32 am So did you sale it?
NO! Mine AINT for sale!
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

sharpshooter wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:38 am That's great!! Sounds like a heck of a rifle, what is the max range of it?
That one is a bone stock Savage 10MLII with a 3x9 Leupold on it. Im shooting 47gr XMP AA 5744 in it. I haven't ran any charts on it. My farthest kill was 169 yards, with a 100 yd zero it drops about 3 inches. This morning he said he held just enough up to see daylight between the top of his back and the crosshairs, perfect double lung shot, so about 6 inches drop at 225.
Ive got a custom Remington 700 ML that I had converted to smokeless in 45 cal. I do have drop charts on it out to 400 yds.
sharpshooter
6 Point

Post by sharpshooter »

That is awesome!!
MUP

Post by MUP »

Heck yeah! That's gettin' it dun!
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
scat
8 Point

Post by scat »

The Savage SML started it all and I'm grateful to Mr Ball and Savage for the invention. But things are much more advanced and safer today. Savage is not supplying ANY parts for the ML, even though they were manufactured only a few years ago due to liability reasons. He would be worlds ahead to:

1) acquire a donor Savage short action rifle, buy a barrel with ignition system and a stock to assemble an SML. This will be $1000 to $1200

2) convert a single shot 45-70 like we did for Caretaker. $500 to $600
Joe Biden is just Hillary Clinton with a smaller cod.
Tngrizzly_

Post by Tngrizzly_ »

scat wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:42 am The Savage SML started it all and I'm grateful to Mr Ball and Savage for the invention. But things are much more advanced and safer today. Savage is not supplying ANY parts for the ML, even though they were manufactured only a few years ago due to liability reasons. He would be worlds ahead to:

1) acquire a donor Savage short action rifle, buy a barrel with ignition system and a stock to assemble an SML. This will be $1000 to $1200

Part of me wants to build a 45-70, but the other part is enjoying the black horn powder in my CVA optima
GOD, Family, and the Great Outdoors. What more can a Man Want
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

Tngrizzly_ wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:55 pm
scat wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:42 am The Savage SML started it all and I'm grateful to Mr Ball and Savage for the invention. But things are much more advanced and safer today. Savage is not supplying ANY parts for the ML, even though they were manufactured only a few years ago due to liability reasons. He would be worlds ahead to:

Part of me wants to build a 45-70, but the other part is enjoying the black horn powder in my CVA optima
Build one! I haven’t missed my optima the first time since I went smokeless.
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

JCodd wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:09 pm

You know anybody doing the Remington 700 MZ conversions now? Luke did one for me a few years ago but hes stopped doing them. He doesn't even offer the kits to do them with now. Instead, hes building his own smokeless rifles and charging 4K and up for them. We have got a 700MZ already in hand, IF we can find somebody to do the conversion!
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

Huntaholic wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:18 pm
JCodd wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:09 pm

You know anybody doing the Remington 700 MZ conversions now? Luke did one for me a few years ago but hes stopped doing them. He doesn't even offer the kits to do them with now. Instead, hes building his own smokeless rifles and charging 4K and up for them. We have got a 700MZ already in hand, IF we can find somebody to do the conversion!
Centerpunchusa. He done my last cva but his communication skills were horrible. Hankins is probably doing them still but who know how long he’s behind. Scat may know someone. Are you needing a complete build or just the barrel swap and headspace set.
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

It needs a pacnor or brux barrel, breechplug, recoil lug, bolt nose kit, etc...
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

Jeff fisk at bestill?
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

I found him an early model savage 10MLII today. NOT what I wanted to pay, but it is what it is I guess.
bullet
Spike

Post by bullet »

Huntaholic wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:14 pm I found him an early model savage 10MLII today. NOT what I wanted to pay, but it is what it is I guess.
He’s a great guy! We need him on here!!