Does , rut, and buck fawns

MUP

Does , rut, and buck fawns

Post by MUP »

I've been watching a doe with twins this year during my hunts. I saw them again this morning, still together, and one is a buck fawn. I watched a 1-1/2 yr old 4 pt come down the ridge and intercept them slowly, then just walk on by them and keep going. I was thinking when a doe gets bred that she kicks her fawns off for a time, but the male fawn was permanently kicked. LOL So, the Mama Doe had dark hocks, but has she likely already been bred, and still has both fawns back with her, or is she more likely to have not been bred yet? I really try to watch when the does shed their fawns when the rut starts kicking in, but this has me wondering where this particular doe is in the cycle.
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
Diehard
10 Point

Re: Does , rut, and buck fawns

Post by Diehard »

I don’t know. This has been a weird year! I see bucks cruising, then they just stop and feed with the does. Then they will bed down. They act like nothing is going on, but their hocks are dark and they stink to high heavens. I am also still seeing fawns with the does, but I am also seeing fawns out on their own. I saw 23 does, five 8 points from 2.5-4.5+ years old, and a 1.5 year old 6 point in one afternoon. They acted like they weren’t interested in breeding at all, but all the adults had dark hocks. They all fed together like they were buddies. All scrapes have been closed down as well. Just a weird year!
Suck it up.....buttercup!
MUP

Post by MUP »

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing some strange behavior this year!
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
Diehard
10 Point

Post by Diehard »

Went out yesterday and they are chasing again! Had two adult does that were very receptive to the buck! This is Meigs county!
Suck it up.....buttercup!
MUP

Post by MUP »

Did you get a PM finally buddy?