New to reloading

Place to share - learn - ask information about reloading
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

New to reloading

Post by WG Taxidermist »

Ok my daughter has bought me a new reloder for my birthday which is a couple weeks off but since I'm new to this what all do I need to buy for it? I plan on starting with trying to load some 308's so what will I need?
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
JCodd
10 Point

Re: New to reloading

Post by JCodd »

What did she buy you? A kit? Just a press?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

JCodd wrote:What did she buy you? A kit? Just a press?

Its the Hornady Lock n Load Classic Kit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/10129 ... gKrbvD_BwE

If this is the kit you’ll need a trimmer and dies. Die sets are interchangeable among brands unless you get into some old stuff. She’ll holders are the same, but they’re all numbered different. I personally feel the scale that comes in that kit is junk. It’s not even a good paper weight. I prefer a good balance beam. You’ll also need calipers unless your kit has it. I do have a trimmer I’d like sell but no pressure on you. If you have any questions please ask.

WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

Thanks! When I get it and see what all it has I may get back with you on the trimmer.

Theodore Roosevelt
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

WG Taxidermist wrote:Thanks! When I get it and see what all it has I may get back with you on the trimmer.
when you get it send a picture of all the contents. When I looked online there were 2-3 kits and they were all a bit different. That’ll help determine what you really need. Dies, powder, primers and bullets will be the biggest things that I know you’ll need. Eventually you’ll want a tumbler. But it’s not necessarily needed. You’ll find you like certain things and you’ll upgrade others. I started out with a lee kit and turned out great ammo with it but now I have a pieced together setup.

WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

That's another question I have. What kind of powder and primers and all do you guys recommend?

Theodore Roosevelt
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

If you’re loading 308 I like varget, AA2520, and w748. I’ve used imr4064 and didn’t get the best results. Varget is possibly the most widely used and popular and what I used most. I like cci primers. Standard large rifle #200. Cases don’t matter so much but keep all the headstamp the same. Lapua is probably the top of the line. Starline is nice for the money. Hornady is overrated for the cost. Peterson is said to be high quality but I’ve never used any.

JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

Bullets are a toss up. I personally have had trouble getting most of hornadys offerings to shoot good. Sierra bullets shoot great but they’re getting pricey. I buy mostly nosler seconds. But I have had some ballistic tips that wouldn’t shoot good in my rifle. Barnes bullets are nice but pricey. Berger bullets shoot great but can be picky.

WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

Sounds like I've got a lot to learn and a lot of trial and error ahead of me. Lol!

Theodore Roosevelt
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

Like I said, ask if you’re unsure on something.

WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

Will do. Thanks!

Theodore Roosevelt
MUP

Post by MUP »

I'll second the Nosler 2nds. Go to shootersproshop.com as they deal exclusively with Nosler ends and blems. IMO the 150 gr bullet is a great all around bullet weight. I shoot 150 NAB's (Nosler Accubonds) in my 06 and have gotten .750 MOA at 100 yds with them. Varget is the standby powder for the .308 as I recall as well, very popular and nets solid results from most .308's. Also, read, read, read! Buy a good loading manual or 3! :D But like JC said, if you have any questions just ask and we'll try to help. ;) It's a very rewarding hobby!
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
MUP

Post by MUP »

Have you had a chance to start loading yet buddy?
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
Tngrizzly_

Post by Tngrizzly_ »

Watching and learning
GOD, Family, and the Great Outdoors. What more can a Man Want
Wiley
10 Point

Post by Wiley »

WG Taxidermist wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:25 am Sounds like I've got a lot to learn and a lot of trial and error ahead of me. Lol!
I see that you're in Hardin County. I can spare some powder and primers to get you started. My lease is east of Savannah and I'm up there a good bit hunting and some during the off season to check on things/bushhog, etc. Next time I go up I'll take a pound of powder and 100 primers and at least have them at my cabin and we can figure things out from there.
The older I get the more I understand why roosters just scream to start their day.
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

Wiley wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:00 pm
WG Taxidermist wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:25 am Sounds like I've got a lot to learn and a lot of trial and error ahead of me. Lol!
I see that you're in Hardin County. I can spare some powder and primers to get you started. My lease is east of Savannah and I'm up there a good bit hunting and some during the off season to check on things/bushhog, etc. Next time I go up I'll take a pound of powder and 100 primers and at least have them at my cabin and we can figure things out from there.
That would be awesome!! I got everything setup and when I went to buy powder and such there was none to buy so I've never got to use it.

Theodore Roosevelt
Wiley
10 Point

Post by Wiley »

Do you have brass and boolits? I can spare a few of those as well. I have some Speer flat base Spitzer in 165gr and several pieces of once fired brass in several different brands. I'll sort it by headstamp and bring it along........ I'm spoiled on Lapua brass and will never use the other stuff :)
The older I get the more I understand why roosters just scream to start their day.
Jethro
10 Point

Post by Jethro »

I would recommend some reloading books.
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

Jethro wrote:I would recommend some reloading books.
I do actually have a couple of those.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Theodore Roosevelt