Hot Soappy Water

caretaker
10 Point

Hot Soappy Water

Post by caretaker »

I have decided that is the bestest way for me to clean my ol CVA Wolf. I have used every conceavable chemical and cleaner on the market. I have used foams, swabs, scrubbers, etc. I have broken rods. I have cussed broken wire brushes stuck in the barrel. Our of three cleaning kits I am now down to one slotted swab holder, one adapter and my loading rod that came with my Wolf. I have broken and destroyed everything else. Boiling hot water and dawn dish washing liquid in a mop bucket swabbed up and down the barrel worked best to clean the pyrodex and sabot resedue out of the barrel. Just stick the barrel of the rifle down in that soappy scalding hot water and go to swabbing up and down the barrel. Piss on those fancy smancy expensive chemicals that dont work worth a dayum. Larnt me an expensive lesson. Goin back old school.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
I`m just here for the girl`s wet teeshirt and mud wrestling contest.

M.T. Pockets
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Re: Hot Soappy Water

Post by WG Taxidermist »

That has always been the way I've cleaned mine. I'll submerge it in soapy water and run a brush through it while it's in the water and it clean as a whistle when I'm done.
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
MUP

Post by MUP »

The bath tub and hot soapy water has been a standby for years for many. I do not ever stop a brass brush in mid stroke tho, it always goes all the way thru, and then back all the way out completely. I've almost got one stuck that way before.
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
huntinkev
10 Point

Post by huntinkev »

Shooting blackhorn out of my CVA Optima with nitride barrel...all I use is hoppes like I would my rifle, cleans about as easy as my rifle too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
MUP

Post by MUP »

huntinkev wrote:Shooting blackhorn out of my CVA Optima with nitride barrel...all I use is hoppes like I would my rifle, cleans about as easy as my rifle too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I'm shooting it out of my CVA Wolf this season too, after I modified the BP for it. Clean up is a breeze now for sure. Still using Pyrodex for my daughters Wolf tho, but will likely switch her over for next season as well.
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Do you happen to know what the mountain men did when they needed to clean their guns in the field? Heres a hint: its mainly ammonia.
caretaker
10 Point

Post by caretaker »

Huntaholic wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:34 pm Do you happen to know what the mountain men did when they needed to clean their guns in the field? Heres a hint: its mainly ammonia.
Yea, they sold that ol smoke pole to a tenderfoot pilgrim and bought their self a smokeless rifle.
I`m just here for the girl`s wet teeshirt and mud wrestling contest.

M.T. Pockets
MUP

Post by MUP »

.rolling.
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

caretaker wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:38 pm
Huntaholic wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:34 pm Do you happen to know what the mountain men did when they needed to clean their guns in the field? Heres a hint: its mainly ammonia.
Yea, they sold that ol smoke pole to a tenderfoot pilgrim and bought their self a smokeless rifle.
Deadpoled her and traded her for a Hawken gun! Don't get me wrong, I loves the womenfolk, I truly do, but a womans breast is the hardest rock the Almighty ever put on this earth and I can find no sign upon it!
Lost Lake
10 Point

Post by Lost Lake »

Hot soapy water is what I use to clean mine. No complaints here.
A man is best measured not by what motivates him, but what it takes to stop him.
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Ok, since nobody seems to know, they pissed down the barrels. Warm urine contains ammonia and in theory should work pretty good in a wilderness scenario to clean the bulk of fouling away.
Longrange
6 Point

Post by Longrange »

Huntaholic wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:08 pm
caretaker wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:38 pm
Deadpoled her and traded her for a Hawken gun! Don't get me wrong, I loves the womenfolk, I truly do, but a womans breast is the hardest rock the Almighty ever put on this earth and I can find no sign upon it!
Jeremiah Johnson