Spring Food Plots

WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Spring Food Plots

Post by WG Taxidermist »

With the purchase of the new property I want to start doing a spring and fall food plot each year to try and draw deer in. What do you guys plant for the different seasons that has worked well?
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
MUP

Re: Spring Food Plots

Post by MUP »

My landowner neighbor has planted turnips and corn and it's helped me a lot I think. :D
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

My plan for spring is a mix of soybeans and corn. Not sure how the corn is gonna turn out about I do have a one row cultivator I plan on using. I’ve tried beans the last 2 years and it’s been a complete bust each time. This time I’ll get round up ready so I can spray. I think the bigger issue for the upcoming spring is gonna be fertilizer prices. I’ve heard and read that the prices are exploding. I don’t mind spending a bit of money on my food plots as I enjoy doing them, but I’m just looking to hunt. If a man ain’t careful he can have a lot of money tied up.
MUP

Post by MUP »

As a poor man trying to hunt, I've only relied on nature's bounty to hunt over, acorns and browse. i used to dump some corn out thru the summer to feed the animals, but I've long since abandoned that chore, as carrying bags of corn 3-400 yards thru the hills and hollers on my shoulders is too much like work, and would likely kill this old man now anyway.
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

Corn is that one plant I've never been able to grow. No matter how much I plant or where I plant it it just doesn't turn out.
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
Tngrizzly_

Post by Tngrizzly_ »

I heard clover work good.
GOD, Family, and the Great Outdoors. What more can a Man Want
Tngrizzly_

Post by Tngrizzly_ »

I wonder about planting some apple tree, it will take a few years but it will also draw them in.
GOD, Family, and the Great Outdoors. What more can a Man Want
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

Tngrizzly_ wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:12 am I wonder about planting some apple tree, it will take a few years but it will also draw them in.
My experience with apples is they do fine but are long gone by the time season rolls around. Pears last longer but by the end of oct they pretty well are done too.