Deer season is over

Pretty much anything you want to talk about
MUP

Deer season is over

Post by MUP »

It's been one of the worst season's in recent memory for me, as I got to go only a handful of times this season. I was grateful when I got to go, but each time I went I had to literally force myself to go. I've had some health related issues I've been dealing with, nothing major I'm hoping, but I'm dealing with it going forward. Here's hoping everyone had a good season and for those who are still at it good luck and hope you have a good one. Maybe next season will be better. ;)
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
Huntaholic
10 Point

Re: Deer season is over

Post by Huntaholic »

Its not over until 30 min after legal sunset tonight! I may be sitting at home in the comfort of my office chair, posting crap on the internet, but make no mistake, IM HUNTING! That's the beauty of living where I do, all Ive got to do is lean back and look out the window and Im hunting! You can call it cheating, say it doesn't count, whatever...... I call it making good choices and living right.
Tru-Talker
6 Point

Post by Tru-Talker »

Well we have 38 days left where I hunt and I've yet to kill a deer. Haven't been as much as I normally go but rarely have I not killed a deer yet. Hopefully this cold weather is here stay for a while. I had chances to go this past week but who the hell wants to hunt in damn near 80° weather...I sure as hell don't...
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves....
MUP

Post by MUP »

Yes, the weather didn't help much at all either🙄
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
Planking
6 Point

Post by Planking »

I went pretty hard during the rut but threw in the towel after that. Had fun but didn't get a big one this time.
caretaker
10 Point

Post by caretaker »

I hunted hard and every chance I got. I missed the same buck on two different occasions at I B Ugly's I hunted and let one walk at Catoosa because I didn't know for sure if it was legal. Then this Neuropathy hit my legs. I could have sat on the front porch or the back porch and took pics and posted them. I could look up into the woods and possibly have shot a deer but I don't play that way. Hopefully, I will be hunting next season
I`m just here for the girl`s wet teeshirt and mud wrestling contest.

M.T. Pockets
CrowT
Spike

Post by CrowT »

This was a very strange season for me. I only got to go 4 times and killed 4 deer. Total hunting time of about 4-5 hours total. My first trip was in ML and I hunted maybe 45 minutes and had one down. I only doe hunted. I’ve never had a season where I had a 100% success rate. About an hour before dark this evening we left the house and there were 21 deer standing in our bottom field. I never even put a dent in the population.
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

Well this was another season of not shooting anything. I had one opportunity to kill one but rushed the shot and didn't connect. I can only blame myself for that one. I hoping with the purchase of the new land will come better opportunities next season.
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
MUP

Post by MUP »

This is the first season since 2013 that I haven't killed a good buck. I normally try for one buck on my place, and a couple times I've taken two. But this year it was just too hard to go at it like I normally have in the past. I would hunt like there was no tomorrow and even be so wore down by seasons end that I would end up getting sick eventually sometimes, but not this season. It's kinda hard to take when the season ends for me, always second guessing myself if I could have gone more, but this season I know I didn't go hardly at all compared to years past. It bothers me for sure, but somehow I know I just wasn't up to it either, and maybe that'll help when I think back on this pitiful season.
TNRifleman
Spike

Post by TNRifleman »

I'll be out in the morning in Unit CWD. 21 degrees at sun up and a perfect wind for the spot I am hunting. Hoping to turn a bad year into something memorable
Phil. 2:3
timberjack86
6 Point

Post by timberjack86 »

To be honest I'm glad it's gone, means turkey season is right around the corner!
MUP

Post by MUP »

TNRifleman wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:00 pm I'll be out in the morning in Unit CWD. 21 degrees at sun up and a perfect wind for the spot I am hunting. Hoping to turn a bad year into something memorable
Good luck buddy! Gonna be brutal out there! 🥶
caretaker
10 Point

Post by caretaker »

I have a buddy that hunted Dickson Friday,Sat and part of yesterday. They hit freezing rain and sleet coming back to Ktown yesterday. Before my legs went numb I had thought about seeing if we could hunt the doe only hunt at the cabin in Dickson.

Oh well , guess I will try to wet a line until Thunder Chicken and Tree Rat season if my legs will let me
I`m just here for the girl`s wet teeshirt and mud wrestling contest.

M.T. Pockets
snakester50
10 Point

Post by snakester50 »

MUP wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:35 pm It's been one of the worst season's in recent memory for me, as I got to go only a handful of times this season. I was grateful when I got to go, but each time I went I had to literally force myself to go. I've had some health related issues I've been dealing with, nothing major I'm hoping, but I'm dealing with it going forward. Here's hoping everyone had a good season and for those who are still at it good luck and hope you have a good one. Maybe next season will be better. ;)
I hunted more this season than the last few . Think that had do with being on a team I guess wanted to do my fair share of at least going . Could've killed more but just didn't. The thing that is frustrating is of the mature bucks I have seen where I hunt . Hadn't killed a buck on my property in probably 10 - 12 years but I know people hunt around my property but not a lot I don't think . Killed one I should have let walk had I had the opportunity to observe him more . I had the kill bug anyway not taking a buck in a few years . There's a couple fellow hunters that hunt the property I have permission to hunt and I tried to be respectful not hunting around the areas they hunt . Concentrating on the property that joins my property and did learn a little . Found a decent set up on the other end that I don't think anyone hunts that I think I can kill a deer there . With this said I can relate to MUP's issue not feeling like going as my back will absolutely won't let me do an all day sit and it's hard doing a four hour sit . Can't kill like I used to hunting like this but everyone gets old and rundown but I've been blessed thank you Lord . Try again next year hopefully and MUP hopefully you can get over your issues and you will be able to hunt more . You too caretaker ! Ahh to be young again ....
TNRifleman
Spike

Post by TNRifleman »

MUP wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:17 am
TNRifleman wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:00 pm I'll be out in the morning in Unit CWD. 21 degrees at sun up and a perfect wind for the spot I am hunting. Hoping to turn a bad year into something memorable
Good luck buddy! Gonna be brutal out there! 🥶
It was chilly for sure and unfortunately, nothing was moving
Phil. 2:3
Lost Lake
10 Point

Post by Lost Lake »

It was definitely one of the weirdest seasons that I can ever remember. I’m exhausted, and ready to recharge for next year. Hopefully with the lower kill numbers there’ll be plenty of deer to go ‘round next season.
A man is best measured not by what motivates him, but what it takes to stop him.