This evening's range session results

Place to share - learn - ask information about reloading
Wiley
10 Point

This evening's range session results

Post by Wiley »

There are results of my loads with .223 SMK 69gr and WC844 and with H335.......

I recently picked up a very lightly used Remington 700 LTR in .223 to kill coyotes with and today was my first opportunity on my range with it. A couple of weeks ago I loaded 5 rounds each of once fired Remington brass (bought in large quantity a few years ago and I think it was police range brass) with 22 and 23 grains of WC844 and 22 and 23 grains of H335 under 69 grain Sierra Match King bullets. These loads were just something that I hoped would have decent results and be a good starting point to develop from.

For those that haven't used it or don't know, WC844 is surplus powder or pull down military powder that is used in 5.56 military rounds. Back in the day this stuff was available in 55 gallon drums for cheap, REAL cheap. Seems like 8 pound jugs were $40 each less than 10 years ago. There is no published load data for this surplus powder other than to closely follow H335 data. I happened to buy some but not 55 gallons worth and I was hoping it would really shine with the SMK 69 grain bullet and well as others. The loads with 22 grains of powder were terrible and grouped about 2 inches at 100 yards. 23 grains really shined and very little load development, if any, will be done going forward from today's session. 200 yard groups will soon be shot and determine that.

Since I have less than a full pound of H335 on hand but have lots of WC844, I am just elated!! These are 100 yard 3 shot groups.
First up is 23 grains of WC844

Next is 23 grains of H335

The older I get the more I understand why roosters just scream to start their day.
Smokyrider
10 Point

Re: This evening's range session results

Post by Smokyrider »

Looks like WC844 does match H335 quite well and great that you have plenty of it. It's nice to have a load worked out for powder that you have plenty of.
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

Looks great!
MUP

Post by MUP »

Heck freakin' yea! That's awesome buddy!
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.