Suggestions

Longrange
6 Point

Suggestions

Post by Longrange »

I know this trapping season is about over but I got permission to hunt coyotes on a farm. Access road leads down in a hollow. Both sides are cleared off for pasture. Top half are woods.
Would it be better to set traps on the edge of the woods or stay in the bottoms where the hay is fed ?
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Re: Suggestions

Post by WG Taxidermist »

Been a long time since I trapped so this is just a guess but I'd say where the hay is fed.
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
Planking
6 Point

Post by Planking »

Using trail cams helps me find the trapping spots without seeing sign. Fresh coyote sign is the best way without cams. I would plan on trapping each area if you have enough traps. Maybe where an edge meets the access road. Fence rows can be good. Hay usually has rodents. If you find sign trap that for sure. There is some way they prefer to use that property. May your traps be bedded solid.
shootnmiss
6 Point

Post by shootnmiss »

The more open the better in my experience. Old field/tractor roads is awesome!! Dirt hole set in a road is lethal. Reason I say this is I'm assuming there's roads on the property.
I wanna go back to 1776 when men had balls and chicks didn't
Longrange
6 Point

Post by Longrange »

shootnmiss wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:40 pm The more open the better in my experience. Old field/tractor roads is awesome!! Dirt hole set in a road is lethal. Reason I say this is I'm assuming there's roads on the property.
Yes the access road tun all the way through the bottom. I was thinking setting just off the road so they won’t get run over by the farmer.
shootnmiss
6 Point

Post by shootnmiss »

Longrange wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:05 am
shootnmiss wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:40 pm The more open the better in my experience. Old field/tractor roads is awesome!! Dirt hole set in a road is lethal. Reason I say this is I'm assuming there's roads on the property.
Yes the access road tun all the way through the bottom. I was thinking setting just off the road so they won’t get run over by the farmer.
I always earth anchor with 18" of chain right in the center of the road bed that way the vehicle or tractor will straddle the trap. On the edge should be fine though.
I wanna go back to 1776 when men had balls and chicks didn't
Longrange
6 Point

Post by Longrange »

shootnmiss wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:42 pm
Longrange wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:05 am
I always earth anchor with 18" of chain right in the center of the road bed that way the vehicle or tractor will straddle the trap. On the edge should be fine though.
Hadn’t thought of that. Makes sense. I guess farmer could go around if he beats me there to feed.
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

I cant help you with coyotes, but I can tell you how to catch mink if youre into selling fur.
Longrange
6 Point

Post by Longrange »

Huntaholic wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:34 pm I cant help you with coyotes, but I can tell you how to catch mink if youre into selling fur.
Love to. I’ll get a hold of you.