History book suggestions...

Pretty much anything you want to talk about
Jethro
10 Point

History book suggestions...

Post by Jethro »

My wife is wanting to learn more about US history, specifically the Civil War. I am looking for suggestions of books.... actual books, for her to read. Im not looking for abbreviated opinion of what it was, or about. Im not sure if Ive worded this correctly, but hopefully you understand my meaning....and we have some readers here that can help out.
So, what are some books that you would recommend for her to read?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
MUP

Re: History book suggestions...

Post by MUP »

Jack Hinson's One Man War. For a good perspective of the Northern aggression, and the Southern response.
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
Wiley
10 Point

Post by Wiley »

MUP wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:32 am Jack Hinson's One Man War. For a good perspective of the Northern aggression, and the Southern response.
Outstanding suggestion! He was a larger than life man among men and seldom seen but doled out justice!
The older I get the more I understand why roosters just scream to start their day.
El Dorado
Button

Post by El Dorado »

Rob R.
8 Point

Post by Rob R. »

Wiley wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:04 am
MUP wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:32 am Jack Hinson's One Man War. For a good perspective of the Northern aggression, and the Southern response.
Outstanding suggestion! He was a larger than life man among men and seldom seen but doled out justice!
Great book. I read it several years ago. Basically the daily life of Americas first sniper. He punished many yankee officers for what the yankees did to his sons.

Years ago I worked with one of the descendants of one of the folks mentioned in his book. Lots of good folks around the Tennessee river system. They gave the yankees hell.
"Take me hunting daddy!"
MUP

Post by MUP »

👍
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
hillbillyfab
Button

Post by hillbillyfab »

I recommend anything that talks about the Battle of Franklin. That was a real turning point in the war.
El Dorado
Button

Post by El Dorado »

hillbillyfab wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:54 am I recommend anything that talks about the Battle of Franklin. That was a real turning point in the war.
Exellent book on that subject by the author of "Forrest Gump."

https://www.amazon.com/Shrouds-Glory-At ... 0802140610