Good opening morning for my son and I.

Who's getting after them?
Sackett
8 Point

Good opening morning for my son and I.

Post by Sackett »

My son and I started on one end of the farm. He had tried roosting birds on the other end the evening before. So we get to the spot we listen from and can hear one gobble on the other end where he had listened yesterday evening and heard nothing LOL
We hustle back to the truck and drive around to get closer. We are in the hills and hollars and it would have taken us a bit to walk to them.
We worked them a bit, moved once, moved again and spotted them. Worked them from one spot with no luck. So we circled and set up... here they came fast. We were trying to double but the first one went by me and I thought he was on it. It got behind a tree about the time the 2nd broke strut at 10 yards. I counted down and shot... he didn't shoot :?
We went back home so i could get headed to work. He face timed me a few min ago and had one down flopping. So a good opening morning for us!
Resized_20220402_094816.jpeg
Resized_20220402_094816.jpeg (214.43 KiB) Viewed 982 times
Last edited by Sackett on Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the end it is up to the man what he becomes, and none of those other things matter. In horses, dogs and men it is character that counts. Louis L'Amour in his novel, Chancy
Jethro
10 Point

Re: Good opening morning for my son and I.

Post by Jethro »

Congratulations 👍
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

SWEET!!!!! However at 10 yards I would have expected it to have a wad sized hole through its skull, just like the one I called up for you in Ohio! I kept thinking "KILL HIM! KILL HIM! KILL HIM!" but NO, you waited until you could damn near poke him with the muzzle before pulling the trigger! That bird seriously had a hole through his brain the size of the shotgun wad!
Sackett
8 Point

Post by Sackett »

Huntaholic wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:36 pm SWEET!!!!! However at 10 yards I would have expected it to have a wad sized hole through its skull, just like the one I called up for you in Ohio! I kept thinking "KILL HIM! KILL HIM! KILL HIM!" but NO, you waited until you could damn near poke him with the muzzle before pulling the trigger! That bird seriously had a hole through his brain the size of the shotgun wad!
He came in at a run and i never could see him until he was 15 yards. There were tree limbs all in the way. I had to wait for him to hit the decoy and stop. Remember you were griping at me following him with my gun. I told you to walk a circle around me and i pointed my finger at you and followed you with my finger as you walked. The light bulb went off in that hard head then :D :D :D
I was shooting Ray's, custom ammo then. I have pics of that bird somewhere... 1/3 of his head was gone! This morning I was using Winchester Longbeard #6 and this turkey was facing me, quartering towards me. I got the right side of his face and his neck
In the end it is up to the man what he becomes, and none of those other things matter. In horses, dogs and men it is character that counts. Louis L'Amour in his novel, Chancy
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Sackett wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:55 pm
Huntaholic wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:36 pm SWEET!!!!! However at 10 yards I would have expected it to have a wad sized hole through its skull, just like the one I called up for you in Ohio! I kept thinking "KILL HIM! KILL HIM! KILL HIM!" but NO, you waited until you could damn near poke him with the muzzle before pulling the trigger! That bird seriously had a hole through his brain the size of the shotgun wad!
He came in at a run and i never could see him until he was 15 yards. There were tree limbs all in the way. I had to wait for him to hit the decoy and stop. Remember you were griping at me following him with my gun. I told you to walk a circle around me and i pointed my finger at you and followed you with my finger as you walked. The light bulb went off in that hard head then :D :D :D
I was shooting Ray's, custom ammo then. I have pics of that bird somewhere... 1/3 of his head was gone! This morning I was using Winchester Longbeard #6 and this turkey was facing me, quartering towards me. I got the right side of his face and his neck
Post that pic!
Swamper
8 Point

Post by Swamper »

two thumbs Congrats Guys!!! Yep. Figured half his head gone at 15. Lol
Greet the day, make him gobble!!
caretaker
10 Point

Post by caretaker »

Congrats
I`m just here for the girl`s wet teeshirt and mud wrestling contest.

M.T. Pockets
bullet
Spike

Post by bullet »

Congrats!!!
Longrange
6 Point

Post by Longrange »

Nice job
Sackett
8 Point

Post by Sackett »

[/quote]
Post that pic!
[/quote]
Attachments
Screenshot_20220404-103545_Messenger.jpg
Screenshot_20220404-103545_Messenger.jpg (178.96 KiB) Viewed 951 times
Screenshot_20220404-103555_Messenger.jpg
Screenshot_20220404-103555_Messenger.jpg (196.69 KiB) Viewed 951 times
Screenshot_20220404-103607_Messenger.jpg
Screenshot_20220404-103607_Messenger.jpg (182.95 KiB) Viewed 951 times
Sackett
8 Point

Post by Sackett »

That was a 3", Nitro Ray blend shell. Long before mag blends, etc. That was in Ohio, I believe in May of 2005.

Huntaholic, that was the morning after you killed that 25 lb bird with 1.5" spurs!!!!
ibhuntng
Spike

Post by ibhuntng »

congrats!!!!!
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Sackett wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:43 am That was a 3", Nitro Ray blend shell. Long before mag blends, etc. That was in Ohio, I believe in May of 2005.

Huntaholic, that was the morning after you killed that 25 lb bird with 1.5" spurs!!!!
Yep, I look at that one all the time, hes my full strut eastern representative for my grand slam.
Sackett
8 Point

Post by Sackett »

Huntaholic wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:34 pm
Sackett wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:43 am That was a 3", Nitro Ray blend shell. Long before mag blends, etc. That was in Ohio, I believe in May of 2005.

Yep, I look at that one all the time, hes my full strut eastern representative for my grand slam.
Yep, he lived with me for a while, remember :D