Smoked a yote this morning

Who's getting after them?
Sackett
8 Point

Smoked a yote this morning

Post by Sackett »

A big cattle farm I turkey hunt on is ate up with coyotes. When turkey hunting I will shoot them unless I am working a bird or know some are close by. The dang things will just walk through the cows. I came out the other morning and as i was leaving there was a smaller yote just walking around in the cows and taking it easy. I could have shot it with my shotgun from about 65 yards but decided to wait.
This morning it was POURING the rain so i didn't go turkey hunting right at day light. I got up and got ready for work and drove down there just to set and listen and watch. Figured if the rain slacked off and one fired up i would go after it. I had my ar15 6.5 grendel in the truck in case a yote showed up. I set there a couple of hours and nothing showed. I started to leave and looked up and there came a big male yote I saw on opening morning. He laid down about 90 yards out with no cows to close to him. So i stopped, fished out the ar, put one in the chamber and rested the gun on the fence. The yote didn't seem to much care. I guess he is use to people coming and going for the cows and fishing in the ponds. Nailed him in the chest. The best part was he was able to get up wobble and struggle 50 yards to get over the hill and in a grown up draw before crashing. So I didn't even have to go get him out of the field. :)
In the end it is up to the man what he becomes, and none of those other things matter. In horses, dogs and men it is character that counts. Louis L'Amour in his novel, Chancy
Huntaholic
10 Point

Re: Smoked a yote this morning

Post by Huntaholic »

All these coyote posts from you have me considering getting WG to change your username to coyman or something like that! stir
ImThere
10 Point

Post by ImThere »

What did it taste like? Never had one smoked
Tree Saddle hunters_R_us on Tapatalk bored
Smokyrider
10 Point

Post by Smokyrider »

Awesome, getting ready to up my coyote/hog hunting game with a super yoter thermal sight. I will be moving the flir sight to my .300 blackout and putting this new one on my ar15 6.5 Grendel.

The Grendel is a great cartridge for yotes.
Swamper
8 Point

Post by Swamper »

thumbs up WTG!!!
Greet the day, make him gobble!!
Sackett
8 Point

Post by Sackett »

ImThere wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:40 am What did it taste like? Never had one smoked
It is pretty good, you have to leave it in the smoker a little longer and be sure to us a medium or lower heat setting. It helps make it goooood and tender!
In the end it is up to the man what he becomes, and none of those other things matter. In horses, dogs and men it is character that counts. Louis L'Amour in his novel, Chancy