Ole Brownie

Huntaholic
10 Point

Ole Brownie

Post by Huntaholic »

Ole Brownie is what everybody calls my old 1998 Chevrolet ext cab that I bought new. 3.73 pos, 5spd std trans, 5.7 Vortec. If that old truck could talk she could sure tell some stories! (SHUT UP SACKETT). Its been everywhere from northern Quebec, southern FL, CO, WY, and all points in between. Shes only left me on the side of the road once and that was when the fuel pump went out. Ive hooked that truck to everything from a lawnmower to a stuck tractor, to a loaded log truck and the only thing she didn't pull was the stuck tractor. I broke a log chain with links as big as my thumb trying. The deepest Ive ever been in that engine is to change the water pump. Well after 412,000 miles the frame broke into right at the back of the cab. What does a man do when that happens????????????
We reframe it, that's what! I know it wasn't worth fixing, but I cant just give up on her. We dont divorce our wives when they get sick or break bones, so why would I give up on my truck? The journey will be complete tomorrow hopefully. $1500 for the frame work and associated repairs, $500 more for a new fuel tank, lines, tierods, ball joints, pitman arm, idler arm, etc.... Now shes at the alignment shop getting 4 new tires and an alignment. Not sure what that's gonna cost, but I figure Ive spent around $4500 all told on a truck that's not worth $2500 but I really want to see 500000 miles out of her. Maybe if I can get to that point Chevrolet will give me a new one! .rolling. Seriously though, I bet if they knew what all that truck has been through, they just might do it!
Sackett
8 Point

Re: Ole Brownie

Post by Sackett »

That truck has the best cruise control of any vehicle I have ever saw. In the dark, no headlights and no one behind the steering wheel and it can drive from Jackson County to Scott county and back all by it's self!!! It does it even better in the rain! 🀣🀣🀣🀣
In the end it is up to the man what he becomes, and none of those other things matter. In horses, dogs and men it is character that counts. Louis L'Amour in his novel, Chancy
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Sackett wrote: ↑Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:32 pm That truck has the best cruise control of any vehicle I have ever saw. In the dark, no headlights and no one behind the steering wheel and it can drive from Jackson County to Scott county and back all by it's self!!! It does it even better in the rain! 🀣🀣🀣🀣
And on Wednesdays! You know what tomorrow is don't you?
Sackett
8 Point

Post by Sackett »

Yes and it might rain lol
In the end it is up to the man what he becomes, and none of those other things matter. In horses, dogs and men it is character that counts. Louis L'Amour in his novel, Chancy
MUP

Post by MUP »

Sounds like the makings of the next country music song! thumbs up

Blame it all on the rain'
She didn't get her frame..

order
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
Sackett
8 Point

Post by Sackett »

MUP wrote: ↑Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:19 am Sounds like the makings of the next country music song! thumbs up

Blame it all on the rain'
She didn't get her frame..

order
.rolling.
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

I got her back today finally. $1145.35 at the tire/alignment shop. I test drove it and took it back and told the guy that did all the work that I cant drive it now, its too tight and smooth! I brought her home and spent over an hour vacuuming and cleaning the inside, changed the oil, and now shes ready to go back in service. I still need to bleed the brakes, but they will stop me so Im taking her out in the morning to try to get some fresh blood in the new to me bed shes now carrying.
MUP

Post by MUP »

super
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

I went fish hunting instead of turkey hunting yesterday, so no blood. I swear this old wore out truck drives better than my duramax! And I KNOW it will go better! I crept up out of a washed out creekbed/road for half a mile yesterday, frame twisting bluffs, mud holes, gulleys, you name it and never slipped a tire and never put it in 4X4. After not driving it for almost a year now, I had forgot just how good this old truck will go.
Tngrizzly_

Post by Tngrizzly_ »

I just bought a 96 k1500 Silverado extended cab with a 305 in it. It had some issues but hey anything can be fixed except stupid people.
On a side note, I did have scat to come over and help me check the fuel pump and some wires. I like these old trucks from 96-98
GOD, Family, and the Great Outdoors. What more can a Man Want
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Tngrizzly_ wrote: ↑Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:30 pm I just bought a 96 k1500 Silverado extended cab with a 305 in it. It had some issues but hey anything can be fixed except stupid people.
On a side note, I did have scat to come over and help me check the fuel pump and some wires. I like these old trucks from 96-98
If you need any parts or troubleshooting advice Ive got a buddy here with an 88-98 Chevrolet junkyard. All told, Ive got 4 of them, one son has one and the other son has 3 for a total of 8 in the family.
Tngrizzly_

Post by Tngrizzly_ »

I need both front seat and driver cab corner. Both of mine are broken, talking about the front seat
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Tngrizzly_ wrote: ↑Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:15 pm I need both front seat and driver cab corner. Both of mine are broken, talking about the front seat
60/40 split bench, or buckets? He MIGHT have a 60/40, no buckets though or I would have already got them! They don't last long before getting sold!
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

I just got back from his place a few minutes ago in fact. The wiper assemblies on ole brownie were slap wore out after 412K miles so I robbed all of that plus arms, plus all the cowl molding off of a donor truck. I also picked up a toolbox for the bed while I was there. He wouldn't let me pay him anything for any of it!
Tngrizzly_

Post by Tngrizzly_ »

Bucket seat πŸ˜‚πŸ˜†

Also looking for a full front brush guard, 1 16 inch rim and a tailgate
Tngrizzly_

Post by Tngrizzly_ »

Put a picture up and I will get one of mine
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Tngrizzly_ wrote: ↑Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:51 pm Bucket seat πŸ˜‚πŸ˜†

Unless hes sold it already, hes got a winch bumper with the brushguard still on a truck. A 16 inch wheel wont be a problem, Aluminum or steel? What color tailgate?
I aint ever figured out how to post pics, I don't surf on my phone so if Ive got a pic that needs posting here I send it to MUP and he takes care of it for me!
Tngrizzly_

Post by Tngrizzly_ »

Steel and I wonder how much for the bumper?
Also white.
I still trying to come up with a good name for her
Tngrizzly_

Post by Tngrizzly_ »

Huntaholic wrote: ↑Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:05 pm

Unless hes sold it already, hes got a winch bumper with the brushguard still on a truck. A 16 inch wheel wont be a problem, Aluminum or steel? What color tailgate?
I aint ever figured out how to post pics, I don't surf on my phone so if Ive got a pic that needs posting here I send it to MUP and he takes care of it for me!
I guess I need to know where you are located before I get you to get me some stuff πŸ˜œπŸ™‚
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Tngrizzly_ wrote: ↑Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:13 pm

I guess I need to know where you are located before I get you to get me some stuff πŸ˜œπŸ™‚
Sackett knows EXACTLY where I am, both of yall being from Scott co, surely you know him? In in the great metropolis of Hilham TN.
Tngrizzly_

Post by Tngrizzly_ »

Huntaholic wrote: ↑Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:16 pm
Tngrizzly_ wrote: ↑Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:13 pm

Sackett knows EXACTLY where I am, both of yall being from Scott co, surely you know him? In in the great metropolis of Hilham TN.
Less than 2 hour away, close enough for me to come over. No I don't think I know him.
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Sent you a PM.