Gardens

Pretty much anything you want to talk about
Huntaholic
10 Point

Gardens

Post by Huntaholic »

Whatchya got in the garden this year? Thanks to sleepy joe, gates, the ho, and soros, I hope yall are planning ahead for the famine that's headed our way. I don't have a whole lot, dang deer will eat up anything I plant nearly, but I do have squash and tomatoes in the ground. Ive still got at least 5 gallons of peppers in the freezer from last year so I skipped those this time around. My attempts at potatoes failed miserably last year so I didn't try that this time and I am NOT paying 5 bucks a plant for cabbage and broccoli this year!
Jethro
10 Point

Re: Gardens

Post by Jethro »

Lets see....lettuce, radish, green onions, 12 green bell peppers, 4 yellows, 4 cucumbers, 4 watermelon, 4 cantaloupe, 12 big boy tomatoes, 4 mr stripy, 4 yellow cherry tomatoes, 4 red cherry tomatoes, 80' row of white half runners, 2 80' rows of blue lake (way over seeded...thanks tater), half row of turkey craw, and a row of taters. Think thats everything.
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

Huntaholic wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:12 pm Whatchya got in the garden this year? Thanks to sleepy joe, gates, the ho, and soros, I hope yall are planning ahead for the famine that's headed our way. I don't have a whole lot, dang deer will eat up anything I plant nearly, but I do have squash and tomatoes in the ground. Ive still got at least 5 gallons of peppers in the freezer from last year so I skipped those this time around. My attempts at potatoes failed miserably last year so I didn't try that this time and I am NOT paying 5 bucks a plant for cabbage and broccoli this year!
Not sure where you found broccoli or cabbage for $5 a plant, but you’re a little late to worry with it now. Plant those in the fall or March.
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

JCodd wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:55 am
Huntaholic wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:12 pm Whatchya got in the garden this year? Thanks to sleepy joe, gates, the ho, and soros, I hope yall are planning ahead for the famine that's headed our way. I don't have a whole lot, dang deer will eat up anything I plant nearly, but I do have squash and tomatoes in the ground. Ive still got at least 5 gallons of peppers in the freezer from last year so I skipped those this time around. My attempts at potatoes failed miserably last year so I didn't try that this time and I am NOT paying 5 bucks a plant for cabbage and broccoli this year!
Not sure where you found broccoli or cabbage for $5 a plant, but you’re a little late to worry with it now. Plant those in the fall or March.
Pippins in Gainesboro, Potters in Baxter, Lowes in Cookeville, all are right at 5 bucks a plant. As far as my timing, well I don't have a government job and cant afford a tractor so I gotta plant when I can get my garden spot worked up.
Jethro
10 Point

Post by Jethro »

Huntaholic wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:43 am
Pippins in Gainesboro, Potters in Baxter, Lowes in Cookeville, all are right at 5 bucks a plant. As far as my timing, well I don't have a government job and cant afford a tractor so I gotta plant when I can get my garden spot worked up.
I buy my plants at a local greenhouse. 48 plants per flat, mix or match...and a flat cost 20.00
Last edited by Jethro on Fri May 06, 2022 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jethro
10 Point

Post by Jethro »

Jethro wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:07 am
I buy my plants at a local greenhouse. 48 plants per flat, mix or match...and a flat cost 20.00
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

Can’t say I’ve ever bought plants there, lots of places are much cheaper tho. Not sure what a govt job has to do with it, I use a tiller.
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

Jethro wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:09 am
Jethro wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:07 am
Local place here was $25 a flat. Thinking just a few years ago I gave $15/flat
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

I need to go see the Amish, they have plants for 1.50 ea or so. As far as whats in the garden, most of the time its deer and turkeys in mine lol
Tennessee Lead
10 Point

Post by Tennessee Lead »

If you want to plant some pole beans I have a few different variety’s I’ve saved from the last few years.
My recent and what I will stick with are Turkey Craw beans
"A hunt based only on the trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be" - Fred Bear
Tennessee Lead
10 Point

Post by Tennessee Lead »

I haven’t got mine worked up yet I always wait until Turkey seasons over.
I grow too much but it’s mainly a hobby
"A hunt based only on the trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be" - Fred Bear
Bucky'
10 Point

Post by Bucky' »

I have 24 onions in the ground. Rains every day i have time.
Jethro
10 Point

Post by Jethro »

Tennessee Lead wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:38 pm If you want to plant some pole beans I have a few different variety’s I’ve saved from the last few years.
I put out some turkey craw this year....first time Ive tried them. Google says pole them 6'-8'. Does that sound correct, how high do you pole them?
Tennessee Lead
10 Point

Post by Tennessee Lead »

Jethro wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 6:09 am
Tennessee Lead wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:38 pm If you want to plant some pole beans I have a few different variety’s I’ve saved from the last few years.
I put out some turkey craw this year....first time Ive tried them. Google says pole them 6'-8'. Does that sound correct, how high do you pole them?
I would say that is accurate. Honestly I stopped sticking them and I have started using fence posts wire stretched across them at 6’ and dropped grass strings down every few inches. Works just as good and I don’t have to remove the plants from the poles at the end of season. Just cut the twine off and pull up the vines and I’m ready to dispose of them.
Tennessee Lead
10 Point

Post by Tennessee Lead »

D7E1096D-6FC2-4118-B3F0-CF4AB235F498.jpeg
D7E1096D-6FC2-4118-B3F0-CF4AB235F498.jpeg (289.99 KiB) Viewed 442 times
909085A5-8DFC-4F2B-B7A7-E38DAE0DEBA3.jpeg
909085A5-8DFC-4F2B-B7A7-E38DAE0DEBA3.jpeg (222.87 KiB) Viewed 442 times
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Id love to plant some beans! Problem is, they wouldn't get over 4 inches tall before some kind of critter came along and ate them down. I have to grow stuff here that deer and turkeys wont eat.
Tennessee Lead
10 Point

Post by Tennessee Lead »

Huntaholic wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 12:36 pm
Id love to plant some beans! Problem is, they wouldn't get over 4 inches tall before some kind of critter came along and ate them down. I have to grow stuff here that deer and turkeys wont eat.
Yeah I have to put up electric fencing every couple inches for the squirrels and then a dummy wire surrounding it to keep the deer from jumping in.
Tennessee Lead
10 Point

Post by Tennessee Lead »

0A156547-3747-403D-AB78-2C7FAC0B6F83.jpeg
0A156547-3747-403D-AB78-2C7FAC0B6F83.jpeg (242.91 KiB) Viewed 432 times
I had add more hot wires than pictured when the corn makes ears or the squirrels will demolish it