MONTANA!

Huntaholic
10 Point

MONTANA!

Post by Huntaholic »

Got my Montana tags in the mail today! thumbs up Swamper, Sackett, yall should have yours too! Now I just hope we can afford to go with the economy going in the shitter like it is.
Longrange
6 Point

Re: MONTANA!

Post by Longrange »

Huntaholic wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:42 pm Got my Montana tags in the mail today! thumbs up Swamper, Sackett, yall should have yours too! Now I just hope we can afford to go with the economy going in the shitter like it is.
I need to get in the mix next year. Swamper might let me go.
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

Man I'd love to go out west to hunt. I wouldn't mind killing one of those big ole mules. Hope yall get on some and share your hunt with us.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
MUP

Post by MUP »

Good luck! Man gas is gonna be a killer this year! :A
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Longrange wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 5:11 pm
Huntaholic wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:42 pm Got my Montana tags in the mail today! thumbs up Swamper, Sackett, yall should have yours too! Now I just hope we can afford to go with the economy going in the shitter like it is.
Put in with Herb and Squeeky next year! Im serious! Its about an every other year draw nowadays and they didn't draw this year so they will next year.
Longrange
6 Point

Post by Longrange »

Huntaholic wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:56 pm
Put in with Herb and Squeeky next year! Im serious! Its about an every other year draw nowadays and they didn't draw this year so they will next year.
I’ll get with him and try to do that
Jethro
10 Point

Post by Jethro »

Ive never done an out of state hunt. How does one go about getting in the draw?
What land do you hunt? Is it best to use a guide svc?
Smokyrider
10 Point

Post by Smokyrider »

Congratulations on a successful draw! Was it a mule deer draw or elk?

Good luck on the hunt.
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Mule deer, well technically its a deer tag, so whitetails are legal as well but its gonna have to be a giant whitetail for me to shoot one.
As far as out of state hunting goes, all states are different in how they do the licenses. Some you can just buy it when you get there but most are draw only. Ive hunted more species than I can name, all over the US and Canada, and the ONLY time I use a guide is when its required by law, I.E. Ontario bear hunting, Quebec caribou hunting. Everything else, turkeys, whitetails, mule deer, elk, antelope, etc..... I do on my own. Its really nice if you can fall in with some guys who have already been there, done that, so they can take you under their wing, but it can be done all on your own too. Somebody has got to be the guinea pig and go first.
Sackett
8 Point

Post by Sackett »

Mine was in the mailbox on the 31st also.
I am taking a dang coffee maker for the room this time! We can percolate coffee out in the hills at lunch on the LP stove.
In the end it is up to the man what he becomes, and none of those other things matter. In horses, dogs and men it is character that counts. Louis L'Amour in his novel, Chancy
Sackett
8 Point

Post by Sackett »

Jethro wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:37 am
Ive never done an out of state hunt. How does one go about getting in the draw?
What land do you hunt? Is it best to use a guide svc?
Decide what animal you want to hunt. Do a little research or ask on here/other forums what states people recommend. Most western states are draw hunts. Most eastern states aren't. Cost of license/tags can vary a good bit state to state. It is not hard to find public land to hunt, but there is a diff. between good hunting and just hunting. Hit msg boards for the state, ask questions. Out west you can call local chamber of commerce and ask questions. There are options for hunting private land either on a short term lease/trespass fee.
I have hunted TN, KY, NC, OH, Missouri, IL, AR, AL, FL, TX, NE, KS, WY, SD, MT. In Florida I turkey hunted, semi guided to finish my grand slam. In SD I paid a teenage Indian to put me on some land with Miriam turkeys. It was on a reservation, you had to have an Indian with you to hunt tribal lands. In WY i have paid trespass fee to hunt antelope, but I have also hunted public land there and had no issue filling tags. KS has a lot of walk in hunting land. In TX i have paid to hunt on a private ranch. It was not guided, just a place to stay and a lot of land to hunt. Missouri, I hunted private land with a friend up there. IL has public land but it just isn't the same as private and about everything private is leased. I got lucky and got to guide deer hunts for a lodge for tip money and i could hunt about anytime i wanted on any of the property as long as a client wasn't on it. So I would hunt the day or two before clients came in, the day or two after they left or drop them off and run to a farm no one was on and hunt.
If you do your research, ask questions and hunt hard... you can have success.
In the end it is up to the man what he becomes, and none of those other things matter. In horses, dogs and men it is character that counts. Louis L'Amour in his novel, Chancy
MUP

Post by MUP »

Do the states that have the trespass licenses have their names or parcels listed for the ones that you can choose from, or do you have to search out a parcel to hunt and then ask the landowner?
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

MUP wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:21 am Do the states that have the trespass licenses have their names or parcels listed for the ones that you can choose from, or do you have to search out a parcel to hunt and then ask the landowner?
Im not aware of a "trespass license". In WY for antelope you can put in a type 1 which is public or private land or a type 2 which is private land only. Its still up to you to find a place that will let you hunt. In KS there are WIHA (walk in hunting areas) that KS leases from the landowners for the public to hunt, you still gotta find it though.
Sackett
8 Point

Post by Sackett »

In Wyoming you can get a state map by area showing land that is open to.public hunting. But you better be able to read a map and know where you are. It is done by the square mile or section.
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

LOOKS LIKE WE ARE GOING AGAIN!!! I really didnt expect to draw tags 2 years in a row, but it appears that we have. two thumbs
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

YEP! Its official! Got my tags a few days ago!
Smokyrider
10 Point

Post by Smokyrider »

Good deal, how did last year's hunt go? Going back to the same area this year?
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Smokyrider wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:24 am Good deal, how did last year's hunt go? Going back to the same area this year?
50%. 2 out of 4 killed. 1 Of the remaining 2 shot at 500 plus yards and missed. The other, well he didnt put much effort into it. Yeah, we are going back to the same area.