Normal pack out...

Pretty much anything you want to talk about
Jethro
10 Point

Normal pack out...

Post by Jethro »

Generally speaking, I think Im usually over prepared, but just seeing what others do...

You are going hunting on a huge property (wma) that, although you have been there several times, you are unfamiliar with it. At least for me, this wma is easy to get lost on (happened a couple times over the years). You wont be deliberately going a long distance from vehicle, but as mentioned above, its easy to get turned around. The plan will be to hunt first half of day, come out for lunch, hunt second half.

Do you travel light, figuring you wont get lost, or plan for the worst? Im usually in the latter group....just because ive gotten lost there before.

So, what would you pack? Maybe Im forgetting something...
Shane37110
10 Point

Re: Normal pack out...

Post by Shane37110 »

I travel light but prepared to build a fire and hasty shelter and spend the night if needed.
caretaker
10 Point

Post by caretaker »

I always pack to spend overnight especially with water. and fire.
I figure if I have fire and water all I need is shelter.
I`m just here for the girl`s wet teeshirt and mud wrestling contest.

M.T. Pockets
Smokyrider
10 Point

Post by Smokyrider »

I carry a GPS, mark where I park and turn tracking on, that way I can back track out, also have my cell phone map as well. If I'm in the vast wilderness of Colorado then I also have a personal locator that allows me to send messages via satellites when there is no cell service.
Jethro
10 Point

Post by Jethro »

Smokyrider wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:31 am I carry a GPS, mark where I park and turn tracking on, that way I can back track out, also have my cell phone map as well. If I'm in the vast wilderness of Colorado then I also have a personal locator that allows me to send messages via satellites when there is no cell service.
Funny you mention a gps.. 😂
One of the times I got lost (not really lost), I was using a gps.
I had marked the truck (buddy's truck) and had went about halfway across a logging trail that cut the corner of 2 roads.
It was getting late, decide instead of following trail back, I would cut straight across the woods to the road (truck). This was back in the 90s, and gps wasn't quite as refined as it is now. Basically, it gave me a heading, and I used my compass to go that direction. If you got out of line, it would recalculate and give you a new heading....but you had to be like 100yds either direction out of line before it would recalculate.
When I decided I was going to go cross country, I sat down on a log, got my compass, and got a bearing....picked a landmark, packed up my stuff and took off. After I had gone a pretty good ways (I was a couple miles from truck) I stopped to check bearing and get another landmark. Thats when I discovered that I left my compass back there somewhere...laying on a log. Decided to continue on ..with just the gps. Because of the "looseness" of the tracking, it would allow me to go a few hundred yards before it would correct. That stupid thing ran me all over the place. When I finally came out on the rd, exhausted, the truck wasnt there. I just collapsed on the side if the road...to catch my breath...I was whooped. I heard a noise down the road the other direction. I looked down there, and it was the GW. He drove over to me and asked if I was ok. Told him yes, and explained what happened..and now the truck was gone...he got a good laugh out of it. I described the truck and he left. A little bit later, he came back...said my "buddy" was waiting for me about 2 miles down the road. Said my buddy told him to "let him walk".....prick!!
The GW thought the whole thing was funny, but was kind enough to give me a ride to the truck...
My "buddy, the prick" got a good cussin....then life went on... 😂
MUP

Post by MUP »

Barlow and a Snickers. 😁
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
Wiley
10 Point

Post by Wiley »

The worst I've ever been lost was when I bought me one of them fancy compass' with the flip up thingy with the slot in it. After a couple of hours of going in a circle I finally came out on a road and saw my very unique tread pattern from my tires. Walked about a mile the wrong way, turned around and found my truck. Somewhere about 40 yards from where I parked is where I launched that compass into the woods and I never used one again until I took the Underwater Navigator SCUBA Class and that was a piece of cake.

BUT, in my pack I always have 3 flashlights, a rescue whistle, folding saw, para cord, three 20oz bottles of water, 3 reflective rescue/Space blankets, my meds for 3 days, diabetic friendly snacks, a big pack of gum sealed up(for mouth hydration) and fire starting material that will start a fire in wet conditions. All these things combined take up very little pack space. I might not be comfortable but I could survive for 3 days.
The older I get the more I understand why roosters just scream to start their day.
MUP

Post by MUP »

Jethro wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:46 pm
Smokyrider wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:31 am I carry a GPS, mark where I park and turn tracking on, that way I can back track out, also have my cell phone map as well. If I'm in the vast wilderness of Colorado then I also have a personal locator that allows me to send messages via satellites when there is no cell service.
Funny you mention a gps.. 😂
One of the times I got lost (not really lost), I was using a gps.
I had marked the truck (buddy's truck) and had went about halfway across a logging trail that cut the corner of 2 roads.
It was getting late, decide instead of following trail back, I would cut straight across the woods to the road (truck). This was back in the 90s, and gps wasn't quite as refined as it is now. Basically, it gave me a heading, and I used my compass to go that direction. If you got out of line, it would recalculate and give you a new heading....but you had to be like 100yds either direction out of line before it would recalculate.
When I decided I was going to go cross country, I sat down on a log, got my compass, and got a bearing....picked a landmark, packed up my stuff and took off. After I had gone a pretty good ways (I was a couple miles from truck) I stopped to check bearing and get another landmark. Thats when I discovered that I left my compass back there somewhere...laying on a log. Decided to continue on ..with just the gps. Because of the "looseness" of the tracking, it would allow me to go a few hundred yards before it would correct. That stupid thing ran me all over the place. When I finally came out on the rd, exhausted, the truck wasnt there. I just collapsed on the side if the road...to catch my breath...I was whooped. I heard a noise down the road the other direction. I looked down there, and it was the GW. He drove over to me and asked if I was ok. Told him yes, and explained what happened..and now the truck was gone...he got a good laugh out of it. I described the truck and he left. A little bit later, he came back...said my "buddy" was waiting for me about 2 miles down the road. Said my buddy told him to "let him walk".....prick!!
The GW thought the whole thing was funny, but was kind enough to give me a ride to the truck...
My "buddy, the prick" got a good cussin....then life went on... 😂

Yep, "buddy cussin'", done a lot of that growing up. :lol:
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
snakester50
10 Point

Post by snakester50 »

I never carry enough to stay overnight , all I carry is a fanny pack . I don't hunt anymore were I don't know the property and if I do get permission to hunt a large track I study it feverishly with topos before I even set foot on it and only do that scouting in daylight hours . Got turned around in Franklin Co. once and the guy I ran upon with a four-wheeler didnt know it but I was going to take him hostage until I found out viva two-way radios exactly where I was by firing off a round . Kinda funny even though inwas lost but I was hunting with my trusty Marlin 45- 70 at the time and the four wheeler guy asked me what kind of shotgun I was hunting with 😆
MUP

Post by MUP »

😆
mike243
10 Point

Post by mike243 »

If I hunted flat ground I would use my gps , on Norris lake many a time I have had to use it to get back to the launch due to fog, as long as the stars are out and I can see the ridge line I can get back to my favorite launch, walked 2 miles in a small circle out in w Tn , traffic noise was bouncing off of the little hills and with bad hearing I got some good exercise lol
Planking
6 Point

Post by Planking »

I would carry a lifestraw, compass and fire. I've been lost before. It stinks.
Jethro
10 Point

Post by Jethro »

Planking wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:32 pm I would carry a lifestraw, compass and fire. I've been lost before. It stinks.
I carry water, but I always keep a lifestraw in my pack.