Need Advice or opinion

Pretty much anything you want to talk about
Tngrizzly_

Need Advice or opinion

Post by Tngrizzly_ »

New area on public land. While scouting the other day we found some fresh scrape and rubs in an small hardwood patch, but also they were bedding area all in there. It is surrounded by drop off and cliffs on 2 sides and in the middle of the thicket. Now here is the question.
How would you hunt it?

I think the morning about 9-10am and sit the entire day. My reason is it being a bedding area, that I might push them out before day break. I forgot to mention that there is no water close by that I have found, the creek are dry. The river is about a mile or so east of the area and I know that they have to leave the area for water.
GOD, Family, and the Great Outdoors. What more can a Man Want
Wiley
10 Point

Re: Need Advice or opinion

Post by Wiley »

Sounds like they funnel in to that spot to bed since 2 sides are rough/impossible terrain. I would set up within 100 yards of the bedding area with a favorable wind. Once the leaves are off you may have other options but I wouldn't go back into the bedding area at all.
The older I get the more I understand why roosters just scream to start their day.
Tngrizzly_

Post by Tngrizzly_ »

Wiley wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:06 pm Sounds like they funnel in to that spot to bed since 2 sides are rough/impossible terrain. I would set up within 100 yards of the bedding area with a favorable wind. Once the leaves are off you may have other options but I wouldn't go back into the bedding area at all.
So you think that it will be better MZ or gun location and sit close enough to watch and make a ethical shot?
What time would you go in?
ImThere
10 Point

Post by ImThere »

Which way is dominant wind? I assume in to the bedding area ? When you say cliffs, how much ? 100’ fall cliff or uncomfortable walk down a mountain? How wide is the ravine? Which side of the tree are the rubs? Both? If dominant north wind for instance come in from east or west depending on cover and availability of food. If you can hunt between there and where they are going it would be the safe bet. Find a terrain feature that forces them one way.
If the ravine is only 100ft wide you could possibly hunt it from the other side. Lots of options. Many possibilities. Probably a gos position would help me sort it out, aerial maps, topo! Lol
Tree Saddle hunters_R_us on Tapatalk bored
Jethro
10 Point

Post by Jethro »

Just send me the coordinates....Ill go check it out for you, towards tge end of November... 😂
Wiley
10 Point

Post by Wiley »

#1 I'd hunt the wind #2 when I'm hunting with a firearm I never go in before good daylight. I've run too many deer off in the dark and I'm certain they were all 160" bucks :) I ease in after good light to where I want to set up. I always have a forked sapling for a shooting stick, clear the leaves from a big enough area at the base of a tree to stand up and look different directions if I feel the need. That keeps me from making noise gives me different viewing angles by moving a little around the base of the tree. The area that I clear is big enough for me to stretch my legs straight out. That disturbance in the leaves and surface soil helps cover my scent too.

I'd hunt it with MZ to get my first REAL impression with hopes of an opportunity to kill. I never hunt the same place more than 3 times in a row but that's just me and no science behind it.
The older I get the more I understand why roosters just scream to start their day.
Tngrizzly_

Post by Tngrizzly_ »

Wiley wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:03 pm #1 I'd hunt the wind #2 when I'm hunting with a firearm I never go in before good daylight. I've run too many deer off in the dark and I'm certain they were all 160" bucks :) I ease in after good light to where I want to set up. I always have a forked sapling for a shooting stick, clear the leaves from a big enough area at the base of a tree to stand up and look different directions if I feel the need. That keeps me from making noise gives me different viewing angles by moving a little around the base of the tree. The area that I clear is big enough for me to stretch my legs straight out. That disturbance in the leaves and surface soil helps cover my scent too.

I'd hunt it with MZ to get my first REAL impression with hopes of an opportunity to kill. I never hunt the same place more than 3 times in a row but that's just me and no science behind it.
I couldn't afford to hunt it 3 day in a row unless I am camping. Over an hour drive and then walking, old age sux.
I think that I will go put a ladder stand in this week and let my youngest hunt it during juvenile
Wiley
10 Point

Post by Wiley »

I'm right there with you on the old age six part. Be dang careful putting that stand up. We don't want you posting about injuries. Hoping the juvi gets a wall hanger!