A bunch of kayakers want to ban trotlines

Pretty much anything you want to talk about
Shane37110
10 Point

A bunch of kayakers want to ban trotlines

Post by Shane37110 »

I pasted the whole article so you don't give that liberal rag any clicks. The link is there only to avoid copyright issues.

Thank goodness the Tennessee Wildlife commission made the right call on this.
Most kayakers enjoy the rivers, docks and access points that are maintained by TWRA and never financially contribute to the upkeep.

You know who pays the bills for all that? Hunters and fishermen who buy licenses and pay boat registration fees do!! Add to that that an annoying percentage of those kayakers around my area are just plain river trash that litter the parking lots and access points with beer and liquor bottles, dirty diapers, fast food trash, used condoms, drug needles and piles of shit they don't have the decency to cover up.

Now they want to start by banning trotlines. Then it will be jugging, who knows where it will go.

https://tennesseelookout.com/2023/01/13 ... of-danger/

in August.

“These archaic forms of unmonitored fishing are endangering human lives as well as the balance of fish life that is not the intended target,” he said.

Last month, after hearing impassioned pleas from multiple kayaking, river safety experts, including a U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary water safety expert, the commission did enact new rules that require trotlines be visibly marked, checked by their owners at least once every 24 hours and limited to stretch three-quarters of the way across a stream.

They also tasked the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency with conducting research about how adjoining states regulate trotlines and how many injuries or deaths were associated with their use.

Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency Fisheries Chief Mark Thurman told commissioners Wednesday that research had not turned up any evidence of injuries or deaths as a result of trotlines in other states.

“It is the agency’s opinion that our regulations are in a good place, and we recommend no change be made,” Thurman said.

Paddling groups disagree.

They continue to press for a series of new regulations, so that no trotline may be placed in a way that is a hazard to boating or public safety. They are seeking rules requiring trotlines to have floating colored markers at each end, and at intervals of every 25 hooks – as required in North and South Carolina, and Georgia.

They also recommended the lines run parallel to shores, instead of across them and that trotlines be submerged at least 3 feet below the surface, as four neighboring states require.
MUP

Re: A bunch of kayakers want to ban trotlines

Post by MUP »

Archaic?! That sounds like a snowflake hippie libtard!
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
Sackett
8 Point

Post by Sackett »

Most of these people now days don't know what it was like to run around barefooted all summer long as a kid and step on a broken glass bottle a few times..... and it shows.
In the end it is up to the man what he becomes, and none of those other things matter. In horses, dogs and men it is character that counts. Louis L'Amour in his novel, Chancy
Planking
6 Point

Post by Planking »

As a kayaker it is embarassing to be affilitated with these lunatics.
Shane37110
10 Point

Post by Shane37110 »

I check my trotlines with a canoe. What I'd like to see is some enforcement against these kayakers tampering with lawful trotlines.
rabbit

Post by rabbit »

Sackett wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:27 pm Most of these people now days don't know what it was like to run around barefooted all summer long as a kid and step on a broken glass bottle a few times..... and it shows.
Absolutely
#FollowMeAndIWillBlessYou
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

I think kayakers should have to register their vessels and at the least have to buy a fishing license. Those bastards have ruined some of the best river fishing in the state by covertly influencing TWRA to remove the check dams that used to be in place. TWRA did it under the guise of restoring fisheries but the truth is the yakkers had to portage around them and they dont like to walk!
And why should I have to bring my boat off plane and idle around you!? Get a fucking boat that floats and stay near the shore!
Shane37110
10 Point

Post by Shane37110 »

Amen!