Going back to what works

MUP

Going back to what works

Post by MUP »

After earlier in the year trying to make my cva kod mag perform using bh209, I'm declaring it a lost cause. I've come to the conclusion that its just the BP design in my pre 2010 model that's hampering consistent ignition. So, I'm not wasting money buying a ML to replace my perfectly good ones I now have, rather I'm going back to the tried and true pyrodex. I've no problem with the extra cleaning needed, just part of what makes up the ML hunting experience as a whole to me still. Anybody local need a new can of Blackhorn 209? $30 ftf in the Chattanooga area. :)
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
leader
Site Admin

Re: Going back to what works

Post by leader »

Good luck....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only dumb questions are those never asked!!!!
MUP

Post by MUP »

Eh, not so much luck as it is just what works. Used pyro for years with no issues. After the hangfire on opening day with bh209 and my cva, I switched over to my knight that I've not shot in 3 yrs. Test fired it with the load of pyro I'd always used and was still good to go. :)
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
280longshot
6 Point

Post by 280longshot »

Always have a backup plan
caretaker
10 Point

Post by caretaker »

I have used pyrodex in my first muzzloader a traditions inline buckhunter, a knight mk and now my wolf. the first two were #11 caps. The wolf is 209. The only time I had a misfire was a bad #11 cap or nipple. The cap popped but when I tried to replace I could not het a new cap on it. The nipple was swelled. I replaced the nipple,new cap and boom. I also use pyrodex in my girl friends. Nicky(Nicola) and Viki (Victoria). Named after twins that I met in Florida back in my younger wilder days.

Who would like to see pics of Viki and Niki?
I`m just here for the girl`s wet teeshirt and mud wrestling contest.

M.T. Pockets
MUP

Post by MUP »

Yep, the only failure I had using my knight with pyrodex was a damp #11 cap as well, and that was bc I was hunting on a foggy, drizzly day. Other than that, I've kept the nipple and BP clean as a whistle and never had a problem.
Carlos
Button

Post by Carlos »

Hmm... these twins, how old are they now?

Lol.
Lost Lake
10 Point

Post by Lost Lake »

I've had great luck with Pyrodex RS over the years and haven't found a reason to change. Hope it all works out for you.
A man is best measured not by what motivates him, but what it takes to stop him.
MUP

Post by MUP »

Lost Lake wrote:I've had great luck with Pyrodex RS over the years and haven't found a reason to change. Hope it all works out for you.

I had too, just got caught up in the hype over Blackhorn 209 I reckon. It's a great powder no doubt, just doesn't work in my ML.