Just noticed, might help

MUP

Just noticed, might help

Post by MUP »

I just noticed something I do, almost subconsciously anymore, but might help some of you. As I make my way in during pre season, checking stands, I have a pretty sturdy stick in hand, and as I make my way along, I pick and toss limbs out of the pathway leading to and from each stand. That way I can make a quieter entrance and exit without cracking so many sticks and alerting deer in the area as much. Also keeps your scent off every stick that you might otherwise toss by hand. Of course, if you hunt out on the west side you'll have no need of this as you just drive up to your blind thru the field, or that truck cab! :lol: :lol: :shock:
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
RutMan
6 Point

Re: Just noticed, might help

Post by RutMan »

MUP wrote:I just noticed something I do, almost subconsciously anymore, but might help some of you. As I make my way in during pre season, checking stands, I have a pretty sturdy stick in hand, and as I make my way along, I pick and toss limbs out of the pathway leading to and from each stand. That way I can make a quieter entrance and exit without cracking so many sticks and alerting deer in the area as much. Also keeps your scent off every stick that you might otherwise toss by hand. Of course, if you hunt out on the west side you'll have no need of this as you just drive up to your blind thru the field, or that truck cab! :lol: :lol: :shock:

OR...............just shoot 'em out the bedroom window or from the back porch !! :lol: :mrgreen:
Inkstainz
8 Point

Post by Inkstainz »

Jealousy will get you nowhere my friend

Sent from this newfangled contraption
MUP

Post by MUP »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
Phil1979
10 Point

Post by Phil1979 »

It does make it easy to drive the truck right up to the box stand.
MUP

Post by MUP »

Those inflatable tires seem to make a quieter "crack" when running over a stick, don't they? :lol:
catman529
Button

Post by catman529 »

Good tip, I hate twigs, well I like when a deer steps on em
A good day in the woods is best finished with an ice cold Sun Drop
-
Tennessee Lead
10 Point

Post by Tennessee Lead »

I helped a buddy hang a stand a couple years ago. It wasn't too far from where he parked due to the acreage so we took 2 rakes and cleared out his travel path it was as quite as walking in socks :D
"A hunt based only on the trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be" - Fred Bear
SOUTHERN CHICK
Button

Post by SOUTHERN CHICK »

I TAKE MY LEAF BLOWER BLOW STICKS & LEAVES .I DO IT ABOUT A WEEK BEFORE I HUNT .CAUSE I HATE IT WHEN THOSE SQUIRRELS GET ALL TRIPPED UP AND MAKE SO MUCH NOISE WHEN THEIR TIP TOEING TRYING TO BE QUIT!
Diehard
10 Point

Post by Diehard »

SOUTHERN CHICK wrote:I TAKE MY LEAF BLOWER BLOW STICKS & LEAVES .I DO IT ABOUT A WEEK BEFORE I HUNT .CAUSE I HATE IT WHEN THOSE SQUIRRELS GET ALL TRIPPED UP AND MAKE SO MUCH NOISE WHEN THEIR TIP TOEING TRYING TO BE QUIT!

I have been known to take a backpack blower in the woods a time or two myself!
Suck it up.....buttercup!
caretaker
10 Point

Post by caretaker »

Actually I just don`t worry much about making noise. I figure if I think a squirrel or chipmunk is a deer the deer think I am a squirrel or chipmunk.
I`m just here for the girl`s wet teeshirt and mud wrestling contest.

M.T. Pockets
BSK
10 Point

Post by BSK »

After hanging a stand, we take hand clippers and clip away any weeds or twigs along the trail to the stand. This reduces the chances of scent from our clothing rubbing off onto anything as we approach/leave the stand. Seems to help keep the stand fresh longer into the season.
"Know where you stand and stand there" Jesuit Father Daniel Berrigan

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into" Jonathan Swift
snakester50
10 Point

Post by snakester50 »

MUP wrote: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:36 am I just noticed something I do, almost subconsciously anymore, but might help some of you. As I make my way in during pre season, checking stands, I have a pretty sturdy stick in hand, and as I make my way along, I pick and toss limbs out of the pathway leading to and from each stand. That way I can make a quieter entrance and exit without cracking so many sticks and alerting deer in the area as much. Also keeps your scent off every stick that you might otherwise toss by hand. Of course, if you hunt out on the west side you'll have no need of this as you just drive up to your blind thru the field, or that truck cab! :lol: :lol: :shock:
two thumbs