A couple of last minute stand relocations

For your more seasoned deer hunters.
7mminatree
8 Point

A couple of last minute stand relocations

Post by 7mminatree »

where in order yesterday. I have a main ridge running north to south with a couple of fingers coming down the westerly side. Not many acorns down that ridge, but, I'm finding lots of droppings on two very used trails and one logging road that sits about in the middle of the ridge. The two trails are running from the top of the ridge down in a South /southwestly direction. I went ahead and put a hanging stand just off the logging road in between the two trails. It gives me two different approach directions with wind in my favor, (most of the time). Food sources are not far away (within two hundred yards). Big Big Big rubs here from last year.

Question: I'm thinking with all the droppings and the low amount of food in this area, they must be bedding very close by. How to hunt this? Keep in mind of mountain thermals and swirling winds. A definite thermal occurs around 9:30 am to 10: am on this mountain, depending on the temp and cloud cover. I guess it's a gamble either way. Thoughts?
MUP

Re: A couple of last minute stand relocations

Post by MUP »

I'd say it's a gamble for sure, but, just like hunting the hills and hollers, it always is. Wind is liable to swirl, or not. It always seems to be somewhat of a crapshoot in the ridges anyway, but I've played the thermals, with the wind blowing toward where the deer would be coming from, and have been very successful at it. Good luck buddy!
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.