Sierra 63 grain SP

Coyote and other varmints
Lost Lake
10 Point

Sierra 63 grain SP

Post by Lost Lake »

Has anybody tried these in a 1:14 twist 22/250? I've worked up a good load that groups well at 100yds, but haven't had a chance to wring them out at longer yardages. Bullet holes on paper look clean and no evidence of yaw or tumbling at 100yds, but I'm not sure beyond.

I've been shooting Nosler 50 grain Ballistic Tips but they've not been too fur-friendly and a buddy wants any coyote hides we get.
A man is best measured not by what motivates him, but what it takes to stop him.
MUP

Re: Sierra 63 grain SP

Post by MUP »

I've only shot 50-55 gr pills from my 22-250 so far. Interested to see your longer range results.
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

MUP wrote:I've only shot 50-55 gr pills from my 22-250 so far. Interested to see your longer range results.
X2. I shoot a 55 grain Winchester ballistic tip through mine and it does pretty good.

Sent from somewhere in the sticks using Tapatalk
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
AllOutdoors
10 Point

Post by AllOutdoors »

Lost Lake wrote:Has anybody tried these in a 1:14 twist 22/250? I've worked up a good load that groups well at 100yds, but haven't had a chance to wring them out at longer yardages. Bullet holes on paper look clean and no evidence of yaw or tumbling at 100yds, but I'm not sure beyond.

I've been shooting Nosler 50 grain Ballistic Tips but they've not been too fur-friendly and a buddy wants any coyote hides we get.
I loaded some 55gr Sierra game kings for a friend that shoots a 22-250 with 1:14 twist. He loves them for varmints and has great success with deer. I'm fixing to load some 65 grain Sierra gk for a 1:9 223. I suspect good results with it.
7mminatree
8 Point

Post by 7mminatree »

FWIW: I had a Remington 788 in 22-250 w/ a 1/14 twist back about fifteen years ago. I used to shoot 60 gr. Noslers in it with a charge of 37.5 gr. of H380. It was a super 300 yard coyote load, and didn't mess the pelts up to bad to boot.
Lost Lake
10 Point

Post by Lost Lake »

Thanks for the info guys!!

Supposedly the 63 grain Sierra is made for the 1:14 twist rifles, but each rifle is a little different in preference.

My Daughter has killed a couple deer with my rifle with the 60 Partition, and its longer than the 63 Sierra so the 63 grainer should be good, but I've never shot either of them past 100yds.

7mminatree, a lot of people lament the passing of that 60 Nosler solid base. It was a great bullet from all that I've heard. Many a deer and yote have fallen to it.
A man is best measured not by what motivates him, but what it takes to stop him.
Lost Lake
10 Point

Post by Lost Lake »

AllOutdoors wrote:
Lost Lake wrote:Has anybody tried these in a 1:14 twist 22/250? I've worked up a good load that groups well at 100yds, but haven't had a chance to wring them out at longer yardages. Bullet holes on paper look clean and no evidence of yaw or tumbling at 100yds, but I'm not sure beyond.

I loaded some 55gr Sierra game kings for a friend that shoots a 22-250 with 1:14 twist. He loves them for varmints and has great success with deer. I'm fixing to load some 65 grain Sierra gk for a 1:9 223. I suspect good results with it.
I've heard good things about that 55 grain Sierra! I need to give it a try too! Good to know, thanks!
Lost Lake
10 Point

Post by Lost Lake »

MUP wrote:I've only shot 50-55 gr pills from my 22-250 so far. Interested to see your longer range results.

As soon as I find a place to shoot longer ranges, I'm gonna try it out. I had a place that I used to be able to shoot to 400 yds, but the landowner sold it.
Lost Lake
10 Point

Post by Lost Lake »

WG Taxidermist wrote:
X2. I shoot a 55 grain Winchester ballistic tip through mine and it does pretty good.

How were the exit/entry holes? Were there many "splashes"?
Lost Lake
10 Point

Post by Lost Lake »

7mminatree wrote:FWIW: I had a Remington 788 in 22-250 w/ a 1/14 twist back about fifteen years ago. I used to shoot 60 gr. Noslers in it with a charge of 37.5 gr. of H380. It was a super 300 yard coyote load, and didn't mess the pelts up to bad to boot.
Thanks, good to know!!
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

Lost Lake wrote:
WG Taxidermist wrote:

How were the exit/entry holes? Were there many "splashes"?
The entry hole is small but the exit hole is good.

Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
MUP

Post by MUP »

The 55 gr ballistic tips that I have been shooting are holding about 1-1/2" group @ 200 yds. But that was with a crosswind of about 10-12 mph. I'd say I could tighten up a tad on that. :D
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
Lost Lake
10 Point

Post by Lost Lake »

Thanks again Guys!

MUP that's pretty good chootin' at 200 yds. I'd be very happy with that!