We have had a positive test of CWD in Franklin Co Missouri
about 30 miles from our farm
We have picked up all salt blocks and done away with our Feeder
Do you think this is necessary?
mike243
10 Point

Re: BSK/CWD QUESTION

Post by mike243 »

I have read salt kills most stuff but the old saying better safe than sorry may apply. when it hits Tn I will turn from a meat hunter to a horn hunter :cry: may turn to just small game and fish the rest of my life,shore hate it for the kids
Diehard
10 Point

Post by Diehard »

CWD is a wicked beast. It is not bacterial or viral, it is a protein. Thus, no way to "kill" it. Removing places that will congregate deer and allow nose to nose contact will certainly help prevent spread from one animal to another. The bad news is, that is not the only way the prion can spread, and once it is in the soil in an area it is impossible to get rid of. If I remember correctly, there is evidence that it can be taken up by plants in an area then can be ingested by deer. Since it is also passed in the urine, soil can become contaminated very easily.

On a side note, is there a deer farm close to where it was detected?
Suck it up.....buttercup!
Western Chill
Button

Post by Western Chill »

Yes, you did remember correctly, it can be taken up by plants. It's something we'll never get rid of but I'd recommend keeping it at bay as long as possible.
lb2
Button

Post by lb2 »

Diehard wrote:CWD is a wicked beast. It is not bacterial or viral, it is a protein. Thus, no way to "kill" it. Removing places that will congregate deer and allow nose to nose contact will certainly help prevent spread from one animal to another. The bad news is, that is not the only way the prion can spread, and once it is in the soil in an area it is impossible to get rid of. If I remember correctly, there is evidence that it can be taken up by plants in an area then can be ingested by deer. Since it is also passed in the urine, soil can become contaminated very easily.

On a side note, is there a deer farm close to where it was detected?
sure is
about 25 miles
this upcoming gun season Franklin County and all counties touching Franklin will
have a mandatory check station for the first three days to check for more positives
thanks for your input
caretaker
10 Point

Post by caretaker »

Dang, makes you wonder if you should have mineral blocks and feeders and food plots. . I am all for trying to improve the health and even the size of a herd with these things. I just fear the things we are using to improve the herd may be hurting it. I may be wrong but am convinced that the farming,canned hunting,high fencing what ever you want to call it is the major cause of CWD. I would also like to know if it will show up in farm animals such as sheep,goats and cattle if it shows up in deer. I know it has not been shown to affect livestock and humans but I still wonder if there are still studies on this. Especially the goats. To me a deer is nothing more than a wild goat that has been super charged and pumped up on steroids.
I`m just here for the girl`s wet teeshirt and mud wrestling contest.

M.T. Pockets
Diehard
10 Point

Post by Diehard »

caretaker wrote:Dang, makes you wonder if you should have mineral blocks and feeders and food plots. . I am all for trying to improve the health and even the size of a herd with these things. I just fear the things we are using to improve the herd may be hurting it. I may be wrong but am convinced that the farming,canned hunting,high fencing what ever you want to call it is the major cause of CWD. I would also like to know if it will show up in farm animals such as sheep,goats and cattle if it shows up in deer. I know it has not been shown to affect livestock and humans but I still wonder if there are still studies on this. Especially the goats. To me a deer is nothing more than a wild goat that has been super charged and pumped up on steroids.

Actually, this disease first showed up in captive deer that had been kept in pens where Scrapie infected sheep had been kept. So, you are right, captive deer are the major cause, and it jumped from sheep to deer so what is to keep from going the other way? Mark my words, it will change deer management and it will change it in a way none of us will like! I am waiting and holding my breath hoping a human never contracts CJD from eating deer meat. If they do.....it will be bad!
Suck it up.....buttercup!
BSK
10 Point

Post by BSK »

Yes, I would take up all feeders and salt licks if CWD is detected in the area. In fact, I would back-hoe out the dirt of a salt lick to prevent deer from eating the dirt around the lick. Normally, the high saline environment of a salt lick kills most infectious agents through cell membrane rupture and DNA unraveling. However, the prion that transmits CWD actually becomes stronger in a high saline environment; i.e. becomes more infectious.
"Know where you stand and stand there" Jesuit Father Daniel Berrigan

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into" Jonathan Swift