Oklahoma DIY whitetail

Creeping Death

Oklahoma DIY whitetail

Post by Creeping Death »

Some circumstances have caused me to look into DIY hunting Oklahoma this year, and I'm really liking what I'm reading about it. Basically, I waited too long to buy a Kansas leftover nonresident permit and the unit that I hunt is now sold out. However, Oklahoma appears to have some nice advantages. The nonresident Oklahoma permit is substantially less expensive than Kansas and it allows you to take several more deer than the Kansas permit does. Also, there looks to be more public land options in Oklahoma and some of the better public land options are only about 3 hrs away from me instead of 5 1/2 hrs away like the area I hunt in Kansas. The terrain in SE Oklahoma is supposed to be beautiful, with a healthy mix of hills, ridges, hardwoods and pines. Most of the Oklahoma WMA's have camping options available during the season, including primitive and pack-in camping options. Last, but most certainly not least, Oklahoma has very good deer numbers and produces some nice deer every year on public land.
BAMA BOW MERKER
Button

Re: Oklahoma DIY whitetail

Post by BAMA BOW MERKER »

Sounds good. You got me interested now.
Creeping Death

Post by Creeping Death »

$280 nonresident permit and you can take 6 deer (2 bucks). That's a sweet deal. Kansas is about $420 and you get 2 deer (1 buck). Oklahoma bow season runs from Oct 1 - Jan 15. It looks like there is quite a bit of scenic and productive public land not far from the Oklahoma / Arkansas state line.
BAMA BOW MERKER
Button

That permit good for archery and gun? I'm prob too late for this season but I'm gonna be doing my homework asap
BAMA BOW MERKER
Button

I'm only 6 hrs from Muskogee
Creeping Death

Post by Creeping Death »

BAMA BOW MERKER wrote:That permit good for archery and gun? I'm prob too late for this season but I'm gonna be doing my homework asap
It looks like they have separate nonresident permits for archery, muzzleloader and gun. Each one is $280. Their muzzleloader and gun seasons are relatively short, which is great if you're a bow hunter. Here is the license menu.

https://www.wildlifedepartment.com/forg ... ption.aspx
BAMA BOW MERKER
Button

Thanks man. That will be a lot closer than my Wyoming trip last year and probably a lot cheaper.
in the dog house!
Site Admin

Post by in the dog house! »

That sounds like a sweet deal CD. Would be great to get a group together and head that way! I would be all over that!
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plan

Μολων λαβε