Kids

jim37870
Button

Kids

Post by jim37870 »

Bought the kids a bow because they say they want to learn.
I got them both a Diamond Atomic because of the draw and
poundage range. Since they have started the aim to the left.
I have been working on the proper stance and making sure they
anchor the same place each time. After all this when I tell
them to put the pin on the target they end up aiming to the left.
I have measured and set the bows at the proper draw length
for them both and before I got the bows I checked for their
dominant eye. They are still aiming left they are not pulling
off they are setting up to the left I have to move their shoulders
back in line with the target. Any suggestions or what am I missing?
I was laying on my back wondering, " why is that ball getting bigger"? and then it hit me.
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Re: Kids

Post by WG Taxidermist »

Are they shooting with both eyes open or just the dominant?

Sent from somewhere in the sticks using Tapatalk
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
jim37870
Button

Post by jim37870 »

Both eyes open. Will check back in tomorrow to see more. Have to run now. Thanks.
I was laying on my back wondering, " why is that ball getting bigger"? and then it hit me.
MUP

Post by MUP »

Good point WG, at least have them close the non aiming eye and try it that way I'd say first thing.
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
jim37870
Button

Post by jim37870 »

I thought of that, but they can't close the non-dominant eye. :lol: I guess
I could get them an eye patch. :)
7mminatree
8 Point

Post by 7mminatree »

Just wondering about the point of anchor. Is it, index finger at the corner of the mouth or index finger on the jaw or something different. My grandson would shoot left when indexed just under his chin. We had him move to the corner of the mouth and he did much better. I think he may have not been getting the string and pin in the same focal plane. Assuming their shooting fingers and not a release.
jim37870
Button

Post by jim37870 »

They are shooting a release I have them anchoring at
the corner of their mouth. I will double check and make
sure they are. You wouldn't think it would make them aim left
though would you? My next idea was to have the aim the v of
their hand at the target till the get more used to shooting.
Redhunterz71
8 Point

Post by Redhunterz71 »

My boy has same bow he did that a few times and it was because he wasn't looking through peep hole he was looking beside the string.
jim37870
Button

Post by jim37870 »

I will have to check tomorrow a see if that could be it. Thanks.
TNDeerGuy
Button

Post by TNDeerGuy »

I've seen this problem several times working with kids. From my experience it is either not knowing exactly how to line everything up and what to look through, or an eye-dominance issue.

Taking a loose peep (or a washer or something of similar size) and a loose sight and showing them off of the bow what to look for is sometimes all it takes and let them practice off the bow.

If it is a dominance issue, that is a little more difficult. First you have to find their dominant eye. Take a small piece of paper, cut a small hole in it about ⅜" and with both eyes open have them hold the paper or at arms length and put your face in the center of the hole. Have them move the paper close to their own eye while keeping your face inside the circle. Obviously the eye they move the paper to is the dominant eye.
a solitary walk in the woods not only clears my mind, it stirs the soul...
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

I was taught to hold the string in the center of my nose where the string comes back together from the peep sight. I've since added a kisser button for 2 points of anchor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jim37870
Button

Post by jim37870 »

TNDeerGuy wrote:I've seen this problem several times working with kids. From my experience it is either not knowing exactly how to line everything up and what to look through, or an eye-dominance issue.

Taking a loose peep (or a washer or something of similar size) and a loose sight and showing them off of the bow what to look for is sometimes all it takes and let them practice off the bow.

If it is a dominance issue, that is a little more difficult. First you have to find their dominant eye. Take a small piece of paper, cut a small hole in it about ⅜" and with both eyes open have them hold the paper or at arms length and put your face in the center of the hole. Have them move the paper close to their own eye while keeping your face inside the circle. Obviously the eye they move the paper to is the dominant eye.
Thanks for your input I appreciate it. I think I might have been expecting too much too soon.
I checked for the dominant eye before I ever bought the bows to make sure I didn't need
left handed bows. I have since worked with them both some more and they lining up better
now. I am drilling into them the correct stance, consistent anchor point, and not gripping the
bow. To be honest I have not put a peep sight on them yet as I did not want to overwhelm them
when they were just beginning to shoot. I will be adding them soon however. They are both now
hitting the target without me having to assist in any way, especially the boy. The girl is progressing
a little slower .....of course the boy is more interested than she is at this point. I am still working with
them trying to get them to position their hands right .
Lexie.jpg
Lexie.jpg (254.21 KiB) Viewed 4857 times
Lexie
colby.jpg
colby.jpg (80.23 KiB) Viewed 4857 times
Colby
MUP

Post by MUP »

Awesome!
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.