Death to ticks

MUP

Death to ticks

Post by MUP »

I've been not only spraying my clothing and boots with permetherin, but also the upholstery and carpet in my truck. It seems to do double duty against ticks that may be on your clothes as you get back into your truck. They get caught between you and your seat, and just die. And it'll do the same if they fall off onto the floorboard too. They don't have anywhere to escape to to get on you later. Now this is on my work/hunting truck, so I'd probably not use it on the family ride. ;)
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
MUP

Re: Death to ticks

Post by MUP »

It's marketed under the name Permanone by Repel. You can get the concentrated version at your local co-op and mix it by the gal, which is much cheaper. ;) I don't go into the woods anymore wo having sprayed my clothing first, during the summer months anyway. I've watched ticks walking up my pant leg just rear up and fall off backward when using this stuff.
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
Wild Bill
10 Point

Post by Wild Bill »

That's a great idea MUP. Guess it wouldn't work so well on my leather seat covers.
MUP

Post by MUP »

Eh, depends on how bad you hate ticks I reckon! :D
in the dog house!
Site Admin

Post by in the dog house! »

You can get Sawyers brand premixed at wally world if you want for about $11. You spray your clothes, let it dry and your good to go for 40 days. Don't spray it on your skin and make sure its dry 100% before putting your clothes on or sitting on it. You can even wash your clothes 5 or 6 times and it still works.
If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plan

Μολων λαβε

Inkstainz
8 Point

Post by Inkstainz »

I bought some but have yet to go in the woods because of the new house work

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Inkstainz
8 Point

Post by Inkstainz »

Amazing the list of things women can find for you to do

Creeping Death

Post by Creeping Death »

Buy the stuff to make your own and save money.

Order a small, quality pump sprayer like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BX4VXI/ref ... 1_ST1_dp_1

Order an 8 oz bottle of Happy Jack Kennel Dip II or buy a bottle at Tractor Supply:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002JF0G8/ref ... 00_TE_item

The reason you want to use Kennel Dip II is because it's water based, so when it dries on your clothes it is very close to being odorless. Most other permethrin mixes like Permetrhin 10 have petroleum distillates, so when it dries it will smell like petroleum distillates and then it's goodbye scent control.

Kennel Dip II is 17% Permethrin. You need to dilute it to 0.5% (Sawyer Permethrin in the yellow bottle is 0.5% Permethrin. Supposedly the military uses a stronger mix diluted to 1%). To get to 0.5% you mix 1 oz of Kennel Dip II with 1 quart of water in your sprayer. Mix well to ensure even coverage of Permethrin.

Spray the outside of your shirt, pants, socks, hat, boots, backpack and anything else that ticks might get on. Important - let everything dry before you wear it or use it. I spray the day before and let my clothes dry overnight. Don't let the mix blow on you while you spray it. Stand upwind! This stuff is not good to get on you when it's in liquid form. If the mist blows in your eyes you will not be happy. I wear rubber gloves and goggles to shield my eyes when I spray it.

The 8 oz bottle of Happy Jack II will make 2 gallons of mix, which is enough to last a very long time. It won't take long and you will be saving money compared to buying Sawyer in the yellow bottle. Plus, you will have a much better sprayer than the one that comes on the Sawyer bottle.

If you're interested, here is the math behind the mixing ratio:

1 quart water = 32 oz water
32 oz water + 1 oz. Happy Jack = 33 total oz in your sprayer
17% = .17
.17 / 33 oz = .0051 = .51% (just a tad stronger than Sawyer Permethrin)
Inkstainz
8 Point

Post by Inkstainz »

Thanks for the heads up

in the dog house!
Site Admin

Great info CD thanks!!

Μολων λαβε

in the dog house!
Site Admin

I really like the " go to first unread post " feature. Very cool.

Μολων λαβε

Inkstainz
8 Point

Post by Inkstainz »

I like getting on tapatalk and just browsing the unread threads

Phil1979
10 Point

Post by Phil1979 »

Thanks for the info
Smokyrider
10 Point

Post by Smokyrider »

Some good info on how to make your own and much cheaper then Sawyers. :)
Tennessee Lead
10 Point

Post by Tennessee Lead »

I have used the "Sawyer" for the last 2 years. It works. I made it through Turkey season and never had a tick bite me. Won't catch me in the woods without permethrin on.
"A hunt based only on the trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be" - Fred Bear
Smokyrider
10 Point

Post by Smokyrider »

Tennessee Lead wrote:I have used the "Sawyer" for the last 2 years. It works. I made it through Turkey season and never had a tick bite me. Won't catch me in the woods without permethrin on.
We've been using Sawyer but for a family of 4, it adds up when treating a couple changes of clothes for each person.
Headed to TSC today to get some kennel dip II. We camp every other weekend, should be able to treat everything I need to at a decent price.
Bucky

Post by Bucky »

Thanks C D.
RutMan
6 Point

Post by RutMan »

Rem30.06 wrote:Thanks C D.

X2
280longshot
6 Point

Post by 280longshot »

Thanks for you time and great information...
huntinkev
10 Point

Post by huntinkev »

I'll have to try the kennel dip. I've been using permethrin for years, started with and switched to the permethrin 10 a couple years ago. I treated a pair of clothes yesterday and this morning I noticed the petroleum smell on them stronger than I have before.

Just a question for those smarter than me, I was spraying my clothes down yesterday and I got to thinking, when it rains and you get wet will the permethrin soak through? I know you can wash the clothes several times between treatments.

It's good stuff and I've been spraying my clothes down for at least 12 years and never had a problem with it.
MUP

Post by MUP »

Same deal with sweat. I sweat like a leaky water hose during the winter even. My clothes are completely soaked, and the pemetherin has to come out and onto the skin.
Nealmeally

Post by Nealmeally »

in the dog house! wrote:You can get Sawyers brand premixed at wally world if you want for about $11. You spray your clothes, let it dry and your good to go for 40 days. Don't spray it on your skin and make sure its dry 100% before putting your clothes on or sitting on it. You can even wash your clothes 5 or 6 times and it still works.
Yep! Great stuff!! I even spray it on the couch and carpet areas in the house. I have 2 dogs that are in and out. I even spray them with a light mist from time to time. Best thing I've seen for ticks or any insects! I been using it for several years.
Luck is when opportunity meets preparation...
in the dog house!
Site Admin

MUP wrote:Same deal with sweat. I sweat like a leaky water hose during the winter even. My clothes are completely soaked, and the pemetherin has to come out and onto the skin.

I have wondered the same thing MUP. Cant be good for you I wouldn't think.

Μολων λαβε

ImThere
10 Point

Post by ImThere »

in the dog house! wrote:
MUP wrote:Same deal with sweat. I sweat like a leaky water hose during the winter even. My clothes are completely soaked, and the pemetherin has to come out and onto the skin.

I have wondered the same thing MUP. Cant be good for you I wouldn't think.
It is use to treat scabies in a cream form. It isnt the permethrin that is dangerous to humans its the petroleum distillates from what i have read

Disclaimer i am not a doctor user be ware as with anything
Tree Saddle hunters_R_us on Tapatalk bored
gatodoc
Button

Post by gatodoc »

Don't ever put it on your cat......

Safe enough for dogs and humans properly diluted.....