Good day

Place to share - learn - ask information about reloading
MUP

Good day

Post by MUP »

Took the .243 out again Sat. I had loaded up the best recipe from last time, along with two more groups at .2 under and .2 over to see if it tightened up any more. To my surprise it didn't help any at all, those up and down loads were spread out quite a bit, but the 38.5 gr load that shot MOA last time stayed MOA. I still have mods to make to the rifle itself to see if it'll help any, but that's the tightest accuracy node that I've experienced with any rifle so far. Calling it a load for the 100 gr partitions at this point and moving on to other different grain bullets to see how they perform.

Also, as I began to shoot, one of the sparse residents out there decided to start shooting a pistol of some sort about 4-500 yds back up the hill behind me. Not sure what that was about, but I do know that he and my buddy that owns the land I was on don't get along, so I figured it was an attempt to try to harass me while I was out there. Anyway, I didn't only bring the .243, but my 300AAC as well, along with my 9mm Ruger LC9s. So, after shooting the 9 rounds I had loaded for the .243, I got the 300AAC out and finished sighting it in at 100 yds as well, with a few quick 3-4 round bursts after getting on target. Didn't hear any more shots upon the hill after that. Then for good measure, I shot the 9mm with some new PPU JHP ammo I had just got to see how it shot. It ran perfectly thru 3 mags. I had experienced a jam using some Rem JHP ammo a couple weeks prior so wanted to try something else that had more of a ball ammo profile, but was still personal defense ammo. I think I found what I'll be shooting in it now as well. Overall a great day on the range!
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Re: Good day

Post by WG Taxidermist »

Sounds like a great day to me! It amazes me that such a little change can make a gun shoot so much different.

Sent from somewhere in the sticks using Tapatalk
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
MUP

Post by MUP »

I've loaded up some with the 38.5 gr charge, and have changed the seating depth to see if I can gain any accuracy that way. I was initially .048" away from the lands, and have loaded some at .005" off, and backed off in .005" increments back to my original depth. Hope I can see some results. I've also considered backing away from the lands even more than the initial distance as well. My Rem 06 is jumping .150" and getting .7 MOA, so I guess it could be possible it likes more of a jump.
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
Lost Lake
10 Point

Post by Lost Lake »

It's strange sometimes, but it seems that a longer jump suits some rifles/loads better.
A man is best measured not by what motivates him, but what it takes to stop him.
caretaker
10 Point

Post by caretaker »

Mup, it`s a good thing you know what your talking about in them measurements cause I ain`t got a clue. besides that my blind ol eyes couldn`t see them small measurements. I do good to measure up some where close to 90 grains of pyrodex for my olsmoke pole. my ol buddy mike243 uses that smokeless powder in his smokeless pole and does them measurements and weights and uses one of them speedometer. He will mutter off something about velocity and powder load and bullet weight and I just nod my head and agree with him. I don`t have a clue what he`s talking about but if it makes him happy . I can asure you that if I was playing with that powder and them measurements that you reloaders and smokeless powder users use there would be an earth shattering KA--- BOOM!!!! that would make Marvin Martian very proud.
I`m just here for the girl`s wet teeshirt and mud wrestling contest.

M.T. Pockets
MUP

Post by MUP »

We can't see um either ct, but the measurin' instruments we use can. ;)