Replacing brakes and rotor

Pretty much anything you want to talk about
Charlie
6 Point

Replacing brakes and rotor

Post by Charlie »

Well my brother bought a 2002 dodge dakota from a car lot here in the county.well i notice the brakes wasn't good . So today i decided to change the brakes and when i took the tire off this is what i see.

This is not the way it should be. Someone either drilled the treads or stripped them on the spindle . so now its going to cost me a whole day of working on this thing and trying to find the parts to fix it the right way. But here is the picture of what i see.Image

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk
JCodd
10 Point

Re: Replacing brakes and rotor

Post by JCodd »

Is that bolt bent? I thought where the head of the bolt is those are usually threaded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
caretaker
10 Point

Post by caretaker »

???? Looks to me like somebody lost the special bolt that goes into the caliper and stuck a different bolt in it and jammed a nut onto the bolt. Probably messed up the threads in the caliper. Probably have to replace it. I don`t envy you. Ain`t nothin like trying to unscrew somebodys screwup.
I`m just here for the girl`s wet teeshirt and mud wrestling contest.

M.T. Pockets
owlcreek
10 Point

Post by owlcreek »

Don't worry most have inserts and can be had at any parts store. Most calibers free float.

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk
Charlie
6 Point

Post by Charlie »

Yes that bolt was bent i noticed the brakes wasnt working like they should.So i been trying to find the part to fix it and turns out i have to buy a whole other spindle knuckle . i bought new caliber bolts but where they suppose to screw in to has been drilled out. But it will be fixed tomorrow after a trip to pull a part.

MUP

Post by MUP »

Could you put a heli-coil insert where the hole was drilled out reckon? Or get a caliper assembly from the salvage yard, which is probably where I'd be looking. Good luck buddy.
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
snakester50
10 Point

Post by snakester50 »

One thing I dislike from Dodge 's is the front ends . Hope they have done better but had a Durango that you couldn't keep ball joints in it dang every year you would feel the sway in the front end and sure enough ball joints bad .
Charlie
6 Point

Post by Charlie »

MUP wrote:Could you put a heli-coil insert where the hole was drilled out reckon? Or get a caliper assembly from the salvage yard, which is probably where I'd be looking. Good luck buddy.
Yeah its beyond repair im going to pull a part to get a new streering knuckle. They have a few that will interchange with it.

Charlie
6 Point

Post by Charlie »

snakester50 wrote:One thing I dislike from Dodge 's is the front ends . Hope they have done better but had a Durango that you couldn't keep ball joints in it dang every year you would feel the sway in the front end and sure enough ball joints bad .
Yeah i seen they need to be changed also so i might as well change them while i got it turn apart .