Old Tiller

WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Old Tiller

Post by WG Taxidermist »

My dad called me yesterday and ask if I needed a tiller and of course I said yes. He has been cleaning out a garage for somebody and they were going to throw it away. It might not run but I'm going to see if I can get it going before it's just thrown away. Anybody no anything about these?ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
leader
Site Admin

Re: Old Tiller

Post by leader »

There more than you want to handle all day long or when your not paying attention and they bite down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only dumb questions are those never asked!!!!
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

I have a neighbor who gave me an old one. Different brand but looks like same motor. $7 dollars later I had it running. I think the air/fuel mixture needs adjusting but I tilled half the garden with it. I prefer the old Troy built but it won't fit between my rows when my plants get bushy

caretaker
10 Point

Post by caretaker »

Looks like a front tune with a side shaft motor. Says it's chain driven. So you got a go-kart that plows. It should be good for a small plot. Yep it will beat you up if you try to man handle it.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk
I`m just here for the girl`s wet teeshirt and mud wrestling contest.

M.T. Pockets
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

caretaker wrote:Looks like a front tune with a side shaft motor. Says it's chain driven. So you got a go-kart that plows. It should be good for a small plot. Yep it will beat you up if you try to man handle it.

It says chain drive but it's actually belt driven.

Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

WG Taxidermist wrote:
caretaker wrote:Looks like a front tune with a side shaft motor. Says it's chain driven. So you got a go-kart that plows. It should be good for a small plot. Yep it will beat you up if you try to man handle it.

it's probably both. Chain drive to the belt pulley that turns the tines. This keeps from breaking the crank if you have a rock or root or whatever

WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

JCodd wrote:
WG Taxidermist wrote:

it's probably both. Chain drive to the belt pulley that turns the tines. This keeps from breaking the crank if you have a rock or root or whatever

Oh ok. See there I didn't know anything about them. Lol!

Theodore Roosevelt
caretaker
10 Point

Post by caretaker »

ok, looked at it on my puter. The tines don`t look bad at all. Don`t think it was used all that much. If it ain`t locked up shouldn`t take much to get it running. Drain the fuel tank and carb bowl. Fresh gas.

M.T. Pockets
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

Those tines are in better shape than mine. I may as well have filet knife blades attached. They ain't cheap and both tillers need em

caretaker
10 Point

Post by caretaker »

JCodd wrote:Those tines are in better shape than mine. I may as well have filet knife blades attached. They ain't cheap and both tillers need em

I have found tines on line. Sometimes after market tines are avaliable. I haven't used the after market but I have found Troy Bilt tines at discounted prices.

M.T. Pockets
sdw
10 Point

Post by sdw »

WG, your best bet is to get it to crank and then sell it. It'll be the hardest you ever worked for groceries. But if you keep it let me know. I'd like to bring a folding chair and a cooler of beer and watch you use it
caretaker
10 Point

Post by caretaker »

sdw wrote:WG, your best bet is to get it to crank and then sell it. It'll be the hardest you ever worked for groceries. But if you keep it let me know. I'd like to bring a folding chair and a cooler of beer and watch you use it Image
I`ll sell tickets and donate the proceeds to the site.

M.T. Pockets
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

If the tiller is like mine they are correct about beating you up. But if you have a depth gauge I learned to sink it to hold the tiller while it digs and ease up as needed. Slow process. The Troy built I have isn't any better. It's a rear tine and hitting hard ground will take you for a ride.