209 blackhorn vs 777 pellets??

Tngrizzly_

209 blackhorn vs 777 pellets??

Post by Tngrizzly_ »

I have been using the 777 pellets for 20 years now, but I been seeing where you guys have been talking about 209 blackhorn. So what the pro and cons of both?? Thanks
GOD, Family, and the Great Outdoors. What more can a Man Want
JCodd
10 Point

Re: 209 blackhorn vs 777 pellets??

Post by JCodd »

No crud ring with bh209. No swabbing between shots. Cleanup with hoppes9. I see no benefit to 777.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
caretaker
10 Point

Post by caretaker »

JCodd wrote:No crud ring with bh209. No swabbing between shots. Cleanup with hoppes9. I see no benefit to 777.

X2

I`m just here for the girl`s wet teeshirt and mud wrestling contest.

M.T. Pockets
Smokyrider
10 Point

Post by Smokyrider »

I shoot BH209, it's clean and I can weight out my charges, been happy with it vs pyrodex.
MUP

Post by MUP »

I had issues using the mag primers with it. They really corroded my SS BP! I've been told that the newer primers are non-corrosive, but these sure were. Also , in my old CVA Kodiak Mag, the BP wasn't compatible with BH209, as I would get 5 shots and then a "POP", no bang. I had shot several shots with it before ML opener in 2014, and thought I was good, but when I had a nice 10pt come in, I shouldered the ML and got the "POP" instead of bang! Fortunately I was able to reload and make the shot the second time. I went back to Pyrodex and Rem Kleanbore primers, which were my standby recipe for many years before, and ended up killing my biggest buck to date last season with it. That's just my experience with it, but I've heard many positive reviews, mostly from folks with newer ML's, with BP's designed to accommodate BH209 powder. Cleaning and no crud ring seems to be the biggest plus using it I think. I'll just stick to cleaning the gunk out from the pyrodex, and swabbing between shots at the range. :)
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

MUP wrote:I had issues using the mag primers with it. They really corroded my SS BP! I've been told that the newer primers are non-corrosive, but these sure were. Also , in my old CVA Kodiak Mag, the BP wasn't compatible with BH209, as I would get 5 shots and then a "POP", no bang. I had shot several shots with it before ML opener in 2014, and thought I was good, but when I had a nice 10pt come in, I shouldered the ML and got the "POP" instead of bang! Fortunately I was able to reload and make the shot the second time. I went back to Pyrodex and Rem Kleanbore primers, which were my standby recipe for many years before, and ended up killing my biggest buck to date last season with it. That's just my experience with it, but I've heard many positive reviews, mostly from folks with newer ML's, with BP's designed to accommodate BH209 powder. Cleaning and no crud ring seems to be the biggest plus using it I think. I'll just stick to cleaning the gunk out from the pyrodex, and swabbing between shots at the range. :)
didn’t you try to modify that plug in the Kodak. Biggest thing I found while using it was to run an appropriate drill bit thru the flash channel and get the carbon out.

MUP

Post by MUP »

I actually machined a standard BP out for it, but just got to thinking that it was just too much to have to do just to change powders, so I just kept the old BP and went back to Pyrodex. I also machined a BP for my daughters CVA Wolf in the off season, but decided the same as well for hers. We're both shooting the old stand by, Pyrodex and a 260 gr lead conical now. She's just shooting a slightly less potent powder load. :)
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.