Heading to my range this afternoon

Place to share - learn - ask information about reloading
Wiley
10 Point

Heading to my range this afternoon

Post by Wiley »

Loading up my old reliable load for .308 this morning and heading to my range early in the afternoon. 44.6gr of Varget under a 165gr Speer PSPBT has been my favorite load for several years now. Since I was down to about 6 rounds I thought I'd load up about 20 rounds and be good for another 5 years or so. I only shoot 3 or 4 during season so a box lasts a good while. So far all have been one shot/one kill and very little tracking.
308 pet load essentials.jpg
308 pet load essentials.jpg (95.3 KiB) Viewed 179 times
The older I get the more I understand why roosters just scream to start their day.
JCodd
10 Point

Re: Heading to my range this afternoon

Post by JCodd »

That weight with varget is money with 165s.
Wiley
10 Point

Post by Wiley »

Yep, that's been my go to load for a good while now. Those bullets were non existent for about a year but I found a few hundred a couple of months ago and I may never need any more.
The older I get the more I understand why roosters just scream to start their day.
MUP

Post by MUP »

I just really REALLY like loading my own, but I like SHOOTIN them more I think! super
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
Wiley
10 Point

Post by Wiley »

MUP wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:43 am I just really REALLY like loading my own, but I like SHOOTIN them more I think! super
super ABSOLUTELY! Finding that perfect load and not having to depend on a store, a friend or any other means to have ammo for MY firearms is such a great feeling of accomplishment. And it far outweighs any cost for the components and add ons that I've accumulated over the years.
MUP

Post by MUP »

It sure does! Knowing I have plenty loaded, or can load plenty in a short time is, well, calming. 😁
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
Wiley
10 Point

Post by Wiley »

I shot suppressed and unsuppressed. The suppressor definitely tightens the groups. I'm gonna load 44.8 and 45 grains of Varget and see if the unsuppressed groups tighten up any as well as seeing how they shoot suppressed. It's been about 8 years since I did any load development with this rifle and I've learned a lot since then.
This pic is at 100 yards suppressed
100 suppressed.jpg
100 suppressed.jpg (78.74 KiB) Viewed 166 times
This pic is 200 yards suppressed without changing the zero and still holding in the center of the 3" bull.
200 suppressed.jpg
200 suppressed.jpg (73.06 KiB) Viewed 166 times
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

I hope those pics posted sideways for some reason! If so, you've got a keeper!
Wiley
10 Point

Post by Wiley »

Huntaholic wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:01 pm I hope those pics posted sideways for some reason! If so, you've got a keeper!
Yeah, they post sideways and I don't know why. She's shooting pretty good ;)
MUP

Post by MUP »

I love watching the groups tighten up!