Holding Deer

WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Holding Deer

Post by WG Taxidermist »

I'm getting ready to buy a small track of land that joins me if all goes well. This would put my track to be about 28 acres. 15 acres of it is hardwood and the 12.5 acres is mostly cutover. My question is what can I do to attract and hold deer on a small tract of land like this?
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
Diehard
10 Point

Re: Holding Deer

Post by Diehard »

Cover is king! On small tracts, all your deer are going to be pass through deer. However, if there is a lot of pressure around you, creating cover where they feel safe might attract a few that stick around.
Suck it up.....buttercup!
MUP

Post by MUP »

I've tried to provide "sanctuary" areas on my place, ie the thickest areas for bedding and cover that I don't set foot in before, during, or after season. Hoping they feel safe in there and hang around thru summer and into next season each year.
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

That has been the biggest problem with my area in the past. I do see a lot of deer but most all of them are pass through deer. I just can't seem to hold them.
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

You’ll never “hold” deer on 20 acres. Or 30. Or 300. You might can shorten their range a bit but you’ll never hold them. What you can also do is make your place a lot more attractive with food and cover and limited pressure. That’s what I’ve tried to do the last several years on my place. Give them what the neighbors don’t, won’t, or can’t.
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

JCodd wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:06 pm You’ll never “hold” deer on 20 acres. Or 30. Or 300. You might can shorten their range a bit but you’ll never hold them. What you can also do is make your place a lot more attractive with food and cover and limited pressure. That’s what I’ve tried to do the last several years on my place. Give them what the neighbors don’t, won’t, or can’t.
Or 1000 for that matter.