I heard a story…

akachuck
8 Point

I heard a story…

Post by akachuck »

There was someone here ( not saying names, but you know who you are lol) that went to the range sometime last week to shoot muzzleloaders. One of the times the younger person in the duo was loading his gun for the next round. They went out to set up targets again and when they came back the OLDER person loaded it AGAIN! I was told there was 2 bullets and about 160 grains of black powder in the gun. The young man shoots it and the ram rod holder broke off I guess and the young man was left with a cut right between his eyes.

Up until 2 or 3 years ago I was scared to shoot one because I considered them “old school” and was afraid something would go wrong and blow up.

So that has me thinkin’ what would be some of the reasons they blow up on someone? I ain’t the best with smoke poles but I’m getting there
Jesus turned water into wine, I turned it into liquor.- popcorn Sutton
JCodd
10 Point

Re: I heard a story…

Post by JCodd »

Double loads can and barrel obstructions
MUP

Post by MUP »

Wrong powder even. They're safe, as long as you are pretty much. There are some instances of weak or cracked barrels that have not held up under pressure tho.
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
sharpshooter
6 Point

Post by sharpshooter »

Shooting your ramrod out of one will make them kick like a mule and might cut you on the nose/eye. Don't ask how I know this. :roll:
MUP

Post by MUP »

sharpshooter wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:33 am Shooting your ramrod out of one will make them kick like a mule and might cut you on the nose/eye. Don't ask how I know this. :roll:
I've heard of more than one person doing this, even one tried to shoot a deer with their ramrod! :shock:
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
owlcreek
10 Point

Post by owlcreek »

Know a guy that shoots smokeless powder in his inline.
If told him he's playing with a pipe bomb.
caretaker
10 Point

Post by caretaker »

As with any firearm a muzzleloader even 6 shot revolvers are only as safe as the users. I double balled one of the cylinders of my pistols. Luckily , I B. saw me do it and I unloaded that chamber. A moments distraction is all it take.
I`m just here for the girl`s wet teeshirt and mud wrestling contest.

M.T. Pockets
Jethro
10 Point

Post by Jethro »

Not getting your bullet seated on the powder good. Sometimes, if your not swabbing between shots, the bullet will try to stop before being fully seated. Best to mark your ramrod, so you will know.