Well, I may be up the creek

MUP

Well, I may be up the creek

Post by MUP »

I left one ML loaded, and another uncleaned after shooting BH209 and it's rusted to the hilt. I am slipping no doubt. The one that was loaded had been fouled before loading as well, and is rusted too.
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Re: Well, I may be up the creek

Post by WG Taxidermist »

Unfortunately I've done this before as well. I've still got an old Muzzleloader that's been loaded for almost 20 years and don't know what to do with it. The powder got damp from oil at the time and it wouldn't shoot no matter what I tried. I finally gave up and put it in the safe and that's where it's been.
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
ImThere
10 Point

Post by ImThere »

I’ve done it. If you can Shoot it, clean it, and rock on! I’ve had good luck doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tree Saddle hunters_R_us on Tapatalk bored
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

No better time and no better excuse to go SMOKELESS!
caretaker
10 Point

Post by caretaker »

Hot soapy water and more hot soapy water and a brush and some tee shirt patches. Clean em and oil em and pray
I`m just here for the girl`s wet teeshirt and mud wrestling contest.

M.T. Pockets
MUP

Post by MUP »

I've cleaned them both now, and plan to shoot them this evening after work. Fingers crossed!

I was just sick seeing all the rust come out of them. Then the rust patches down the barrels. Maybe they'll shoot good enough to be on paper at 50-75 , maybe 100 yds.
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
scat
8 Point

Post by scat »

I hope one of them shoots. If not, I've got an H&R conversion you're welcome to use.
Joe Biden is just Hillary Clinton with a smaller cod.
MUP

Post by MUP »

Whew, took both the CVA Kodiak Magnum and the CVA Wolf out to the range after work. I had 7 loads to shoot and ended up shooting the Wolf for all 7. I think it's good. I shot the load that was left in it after season and it was off paper, but I had also tried to clean the barrel with it still loaded, so it was likely contaminated. Then shot 3 more and it was walking on its own back toward the bullseye. I then made a 3 inch left adjustment, but that was about half again too much, so I backed it up half that and was coming back to the right, then left it alone for the last shot and hit the bull. All over the dang place, but I think I'm ok now.
Attachments
IMG_20211018_142423728.jpg
IMG_20211018_142423728.jpg (676.45 KiB) Viewed 600 times
Shane37110
10 Point

Post by Shane37110 »

I've had good luck with muzzleloaders that sat up like that. You can very often get good deals on them and they are very forgiving.
MUP

Post by MUP »

I hope I'm good now. I plan to shoot for a group after I load up a few more to take back again.