Squirrel hunters....

Pretty much anything you want to talk about
Jethro
10 Point

Squirrel hunters....

Post by Jethro »

How many do we have? I don't see a sub forum for them, so just curious...am I the only one left?

I love squirrel hunting, and personally think that every hunter should start there. Most of my fondest memories are with my grandfather...in the squirrel woods.

I know deer season overshadows squirrel hunting, but do we have any here that still enjoy it?

Just curious
akachuck
8 Point

Re: Squirrel hunters....

Post by akachuck »

I like it. Never do because you normally blow the deer woods down. Mike243 took his pellet rifle out this morning with his grandson lol.
Jesus turned water into wine, I turned it into liquor.- popcorn Sutton
ImThere
10 Point

Post by ImThere »

I love to squirrel hunt but I rarely Hunt them any longer because no one in my family will eat them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tree Saddle hunters_R_us on Tapatalk bored
DennyB
Button

Post by DennyB »

I squirrel hunt more than I deer hunt.
Pioneer1789
4 Point

Post by Pioneer1789 »

Squirrel hunting is my favorite. Rabbit hunting with dogs is really fun, too. I tend to wait until we're done deer hunting the property though.
caretaker
10 Point

Post by caretaker »

Check out my treerats post in Other Hunting
I`m just here for the girl`s wet teeshirt and mud wrestling contest.

M.T. Pockets
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

ImThere wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:04 pm I love to squirrel hunt but I rarely Hunt them any longer because no one in my family will eat them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
timberjack86
6 Point

Post by timberjack86 »

I hunt them all the time. My family loves squirrel dumplings!
MUP

Post by MUP »

I have plenty around the house, for when times get lean, they'll either eat them, or lose weight fast! ;)
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
hillbillyfab
Button

Post by hillbillyfab »

Squirrel hunter here. I've got a few places that I squirrel hunt only during deer season. I try to hunt them tree rats as often as I can. Thinking I'll go in the am, as my son won't be hunting the youth hunt in the morning. 🐿️
scat
8 Point

Post by scat »

I love to squirrel hunt. Lots of memories of my youth and family that are gone. I put away the shotgun that was handed down to me in fear of damaging it while hunting. I bought a new 12ga over/under. Love me some dumplings. Right now is prime time. If you wait til late Dec and Jan, they den up and are harder to hunt. It's a shame that deer hunting has taken over the front seat.
Joe Biden is just Hillary Clinton with a smaller cod.
mike243
10 Point

Post by mike243 »

Squirrel hunting has always been special to me,1 of the only reasons I slacked off years ago is because of all the bow hunting rage started, I started getting folks upset I was running the deer off, have a bunch of friends from all over that meet up in southern Il every September for 3-5 days of 22's and squirrels. didn't make it this year again, grand kids came along and have missed more the older they get. Been a very long time since I used a scatter gun on them, 22 and 17HMR have replaced# 4-5 shot. 40g solid have busted a lot of heads. I never missed a opening day for a lot of years. Love taking kids to score their first to get them started.
mike243
10 Point

Post by mike243 »

From a fee years ago
From a fee years ago
3900E922-58EA-4BA5-B013-932E6C45DAED.jpeg (776.84 KiB) Viewed 314 times
mike243
10 Point

Post by mike243 »

new Hatfield 20g getting it done
Jethro
10 Point

Post by Jethro »

Mike243, I agree, no better way to get the kids out there. I love it. It seems after deer season, the squirrels get much harder to hunt. But...late November, early December...its great. I think its a breeding season. Kinda hope to tag out early this year, so I can get after them before they den up.
ImThere
10 Point

Post by ImThere »

What I really like to do is go after a limit with my bow. I only got a limit one time with my bow in a full day of hunting. Literally sun up to sun down. It really sucks waiting for them to sit still long enough to draw and shoot. Sometimes I have to let down before I cannot hold it any longer. I always buy all the clearance arrows I can for $1 ea.
Tree Saddle hunters_R_us on Tapatalk bored
akachuck
8 Point

Post by akachuck »

What a dork Joey was 😂
Jesus turned water into wine, I turned it into liquor.- popcorn Sutton
Jethro
10 Point

Post by Jethro »

akachuck wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:01 am What a dork Joey was 😂
Well if that aint the pot calling the kettle black??!!
Jethro
10 Point

Post by Jethro »

ImThere wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:59 am What I really like to do is go after a limit with my bow. I only got a limit one time with my bow in a full day of hunting. Literally sun up to sun down. It really sucks waiting for them to sit still long enough to draw and shoot. Sometimes I have to let down before I cannot hold it any longer. I always buy all the clearance arrows I can for $1 ea.
I tried to shoot one with a bow, many years ago. I was deer hunting (broadheads), sitting way up in a blown down oak (I was sitting in the blowdown). It ran about half way up my tree and sit up on its hind legs...to hold/eat a nut. I took aim, and released the arrow. The squirrel took off up a tree. I could see red/blood on its side, knew I hit it..but it holed up before I could get another shot. I went back to where it was when I shot. Its arm was laying on the tree. The broadhead must have just missed his body...but a blade amputated his arm. I felt so bad for that squirrel, I never took another shot at one with a bow. That was over 35 years ago...and I can still see the red spot on his side....
caretaker
10 Point

Post by caretaker »

What Jethro said about akachuck
I`m just here for the girl`s wet teeshirt and mud wrestling contest.

M.T. Pockets