Supplemental feeding

MUP

Supplemental feeding

Post by MUP »

Just watching a hunting show the other day, and wondered why they talk about having to help the deer with supplemental feeding, BY DOZING DOWN GOOD HARDWOODS FULL OF BROWSE AND OAK TREES, in or-der to make a dang food plot? Isn't nature's bounty better? Unless, of course, you're dozing down poplars and other non fruit bearing trees I suppose, but this wasn't the gist of what they were doing, just dozing down wooded timberland in or-der to plant a killing field full of crops is all they were doing.
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
Diehard
10 Point

Re: Supplemental feeding

Post by Diehard »

Yes it is, but it is also harder to see into. It all boils down to people that want the deer to come into the wide open so they are easier to see and shoot!
Suck it up.....buttercup!
MUP

Post by MUP »

This is what I've thought all along, just an excuse to make a su-per wide shooting lane basically. I'm glad I have left my wooded property alone, and let the white and red oaks flourish. The deer are always in there, at one time or another, and they've always been healthy, short of EHD several years ago on the mtn, but I never saw any dead deer on my place even then.
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

I've also left my hardwoods alone and even though I'm not holding deer they do come through and eat when we have a good year for acorns.
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt