Buck limits

Pretty much anything you want to talk about
akachuck
8 Point

Buck limits

Post by akachuck »

Let’s talk buck limits. IMO there should be 1 buck taken the whole season. You can take whatever you want but but if it has Horns it’s a buck. This gives TN deer the opportunity to grow bigger and we will have more trophy deer. There’s no bonus bucks, no County jumping or zone jumping to kill more. As for does, there should be 2 taken every year. The total limit should be 3 deer per hunter, per season.
Jesus turned water into wine, I turned it into liquor.- popcorn Sutton
JCodd
10 Point

Re: Buck limits

Post by JCodd »

Name one biological reason and I’ll listen….
Tngrizzly_

Post by Tngrizzly_ »

I say we go back to 3
GOD, Family, and the Great Outdoors. What more can a Man Want
akachuck
8 Point

Post by akachuck »

Tngrizzly_ wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:54 pm I say we go back to 3
Why you say that?
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

Finally someone with some sense
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

akachuck wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:55 pm
Why you say that?
If you like a one buck limit, sit out next season since you killed 2 this season. Still waiting on a biological reason to have a 1 buck limit.
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Dropping to 1 buck would suit me better. As far as does, that needs to be on a county by county basis, you know, like it used to be when you had to apply for and draw a doe tag. Some counties could stand the liberal unit L limits, others cant.
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

JCodd wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:11 pm
Why you say that?
If you like a one buck limit, sit out next season since you killed 2 this season. Still waiting on a biological reason to have a 1 buck limit.
How bout you give a biological reason for 3 then?
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

Huntaholic wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:14 pm
Why you say that?
There is 0 reasons for either lol
Tngrizzly_

Post by Tngrizzly_ »

Huntaholic wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:14 pm
Why you say that?
More meat in the freezer..
We probably have more buck to doe up here. The only reason I would see a 1 buck limit is, if the state wanted to be known as a trophy state. Kentucky is a 1 buck.
GOD, Family, and the Great Outdoors. What more can a Man Want
Tdw05
6 Point

Post by Tdw05 »

I liked 3
caretaker
10 Point

Post by caretaker »

Lol. Are we going to start that debate again. All it does is piss people off on both sides of the question. When I'm first started hunting if I recall correctly we could take two buck state wide. Doe were taboo especially in east Tn. Then we got 3 bucks state wide and were allowed doe according to county and weapon season. 1 buck,2buck,or 3 buck limit. Two is a nice compromise. It allows for the mistaken identity screw up. Three ? ?? that falls under how many deer can your area carry. The ecological and biological capacity of an area to maintain a certain amount of deer. I would be over joyed if Unit B,C,D would carry the deer unit L carries. But it has been proven they can't . I have seen hard winters and mast crop failures and deer starvation with browse lines up around 5ft or higher. I am not a Biologist nor do I claim to know any answers. All I can say is take what legally makes you happy. Remember, non hunters are watching and are waiting for a chance to put us against each other. Now go take that Boone and Crockett walk hanger or that 90 pound plump doe.
I`m just here for the girl`s wet teeshirt and mud wrestling contest.

M.T. Pockets
Planking
6 Point

Post by Planking »

It is better now with two than it was with three. I do believe one is a much better fit for my area at least. Having mature male deer in your local deer herd is a biological reason.
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

I preferred the 3 buck limit myself.
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
scat
8 Point

Post by scat »

That is the argument that started this site. Please, let's not bring it in here.
Joe Biden is just Hillary Clinton with a smaller cod.
Lost Lake
10 Point

Post by Lost Lake »

I prefer less controversial topics, like Religion, Economics, and Politics. 😁

Concerning buck limits, I promised that I’d not discuss it again because I feel that I made an ass of myself the last time that debacle was started. But, one more time unto the breach....

I believe in a three buck limit, not two, and certainly not one. I have no desire to sit the rest of the season out if I let the air out of a buck during the velvet hunt or early archery. My choice, I know.

I believe in bonus bucks.

I believe in the most opportunity for hunters AS LONG as it does no harm to the resource. Three did zero harm to the resource in my area.

I enjoy waiting for a more mature buck most of the time, but I’ll pop a cap in any buck that’s legal if I’m of a mind to. I very seldom do that though. Thank God for that opportunity, so far.

I don’t see myself as a multi State hunter, so Tennessee is it for me as far as opportunity goes except for an occasional Western hunt. I’ve noticed that most (certainly not all) hunters who prefer the one buck limit enjoy hunting other States, so they aren’t stifled by limited opportunity. Also, a lot of them are serious duck or small game hunters who might only trophy hunt Tennessee the month of November, so a one buck limit doesn’t matter much to them. ******To me, these are two very important observations.*******
Last edited by Lost Lake on Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:18 am, edited 6 times in total.
A man is best measured not by what motivates him, but what it takes to stop him.
akachuck
8 Point

Post by akachuck »

scat wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:18 pm That is the argument that started this site. Please, let's not bring it in here.
All opinions are respectful over here, as of that other site. Not so much. I missed that convo so I figured I’d ask over here.
MUP

Post by MUP »

akachuck wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:24 pm Let’s talk buck limits. IMO there should be 1 buck taken the whole season. You can take whatever you want but but if it has Horns it’s a buck. This gives TN deer the opportunity to grow bigger and we will have more trophy deer. There’s no bonus bucks, no County jumping or zone jumping to kill more. As for does, there should be 2 taken every year. The total limit should be 3 deer per hunter, per season.
Then just take 1 then. I think it should be 3 again also. Iirc the percentage of hunters who actually took 3 deer was about 3%, so it was a non issue anyway. The herd can withstand way more than a 3 buck limit too btw, so why would anyone want to limit other hunters from taking more than one, restricting them in other words, when they themselves can do it if they choose? Want a 1 buck limit? Just shoot one then, that's what I generally do each year anyway.
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
shootnmiss
6 Point

Post by shootnmiss »

By all means, kill three if you like. Just don't tell anyone. Otherwise just kill one.😃
I wanna go back to 1776 when men had balls and chicks didn't
akachuck
8 Point

Post by akachuck »

MUP wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:49 pm
akachuck wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:24 pm Let’s talk buck limits. IMO there should be 1 buck taken the whole season. You can take whatever you want but but if it has Horns it’s a buck. This gives TN deer the opportunity to grow bigger and we will have more trophy deer. There’s no bonus bucks, no County jumping or zone jumping to kill more. As for does, there should be 2 taken every year. The total limit should be 3 deer per hunter, per season.
Then just take 1 then. I think it should be 3 again also. Iirc the percentage of hunters who actually took 3 deer was about 3%, so it was a non issue anyway. The herd can withstand way more than a 3 buck limit too btw, so why would anyone want to limit other hunters from taking more than one, restricting them in other words, when they themselves can do it if they choose? Want a 1 buck limit? Just shoot one then, that's what I generally do each year anyway.
Limiting hunters to 1 deer would allow other deer to grow and get bigger. If the law were to go back to 3 deer per hunter that would hypothetically get hunters to kill more bucks. Little ones or big ones it don’t matter. I’d like for TN to be a trophy state like KY. Not saying there’s big deer here in TN Bc there is, just not many of them.
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

akachuck wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:58 pm
MUP wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:49 pm
Limiting hunters to 1 deer would allow other deer to grow and get bigger. If the law were to go back to 3 deer per hunter that would hypothetically get hunters to kill more bucks. Little ones or big ones it don’t matter. I’d like for TN to be a trophy state like KY. Not saying there’s big deer here in TN Bc there is, just not many of them.
Just because you can’t let deer walk doesn’t mean the rest of us can’t
MUP

Post by MUP »

And that's fine, for just you're viewpoint, and others that share that pov, but what about those who just want to kill a buck, or two or three bucks, and don't necessarily care if it's a booner every time they pull the trigger? It's deer hunting, not trophy hunting, although you can make of it whichever you choose, unless someone restricts you from doing it.
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

Lost Lake wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:21 pm

Concerning buck limits, I promised that I’d not discuss it again because I feel that I made an ass of myself the last time that debacle was started.
I stand behind everything I said over there but I too made an ass of myself a few times. That is the subject that ran me and several others away from the other site. I believe everyone has an opinion and you shouldn't be judged on that opinion. If you didn't agree with the almighty on that subject over there then it's like you had committed a sin and that was my biggest problem with it all. I am very vocal on my standings of the subject but I also respect other peoples opinions. If Chuck thinks it should be one then I'm sure he has his reasons just like I do with a 3 limit.
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
Lost Lake
10 Point

Post by Lost Lake »

WG Taxidermist wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:07 pm

Concerning buck limits, I promised that I’d not discuss it again because I feel that I made an ass of myself the last time that debacle was started.
I stand behind everything I said over there but I too made an ass of myself a few times. That is the subject that ran me and several others away from the other site. I believe everyone has an opinion and you shouldn't be judged on that opinion. If you didn't agree with the almighty on that subject over there then it's like you had committed a sin and that was my biggest problem with it all. I am very vocal on my standings of the subject but I also respect other peoples opinions. If Chuck thinks it should be one then I'm sure he has his reasons just like I do with a 3 limit.
Absolutely, I agree, and I didn’t mean that in a derogatory way toward anyone. Hope it wasn’t taken that way.
A man is best measured not by what motivates him, but what it takes to stop him.
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

Lost Lake wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:36 pm
WG Taxidermist wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:07 pm

Absolutely, I agree, and I didn’t mean that in a derogatory way toward anyone. Hope it wasn’t taken that way.
It was not taken that way at all! Just trying to share my thoughts on the subject. I also get where scat is coming from and I don't want a heated debate but I do believe that most people here has respect for one another.

Theodore Roosevelt