Wife’s smallmouth replica!

CrowT
Spike

Wife’s smallmouth replica!

Post by CrowT »

My wife caught her biggest smallmouth ever back in September and she had no idea I had snuck around and found a taxidermist to do a replica mount for her. I am very picky about taxidermy work and this fellow looked like he did a great job in pictures of his other work. Well as luck would have it, he had it finished just in time for a Christmas gift. I was weary of opening the box (found the guy online) to see what it looked like but I am happy with the end result. She was shocked and cried lol Happy tears. I gave him the measurements and sent him a couple pictures of the fish. He got it decently close….first fish mount I’ve ever had done.
8899F6F4-376E-4E91-9011-90ED27A057E4.jpeg
8899F6F4-376E-4E91-9011-90ED27A057E4.jpeg (248.21 KiB) Viewed 518 times
D3D3BC64-57CE-4585-86F1-1D3E99F3F49E.jpeg
D3D3BC64-57CE-4585-86F1-1D3E99F3F49E.jpeg (444.28 KiB) Viewed 518 times
CrowT
Spike

Re: Wife’s smallmouth replica!

Post by CrowT »

Oh post script…in the picture, it looks like the replica is off on size. What the picture doesn’t show well is that its tail is slightly curved outward and makes it look shorter then it actually is in person. Measurement wise, it’s right on what her fish actually was; or as close of a replica blank that you could get. All it needs is a Chug Bug hanging out its mouth.
MUP

Post by MUP »

Whoa! That's a hog of a small mouth! Great looking mount! two thumbs
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

Man what a smallmouth! Congrats! Looks like the guy did do a good job. People don't understand how artistic a person has to be to mount or do a replica of a fish. There are so many colors and air brush techniques used to create the mount.
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
CrowT
Spike

Post by CrowT »

I got into custom painting crankbaits with an air brush several years ago and still feel like I’ve barely scratched the surface in techniques, getting colors right, etc. YouTube has several channels that the painters are like wizards. Truly mind blowing work. I have stencils for my crankbait patterns that help a lot but there’s a lot that goes into nailing color blends and tones.

This fella was out of Cookeville, TN that I found online. His online studio pictures looked really good on bass, and his prices were par for the replica course. There was an AMAZING replica taxidermist on Facebook that I am blown away by his work. I contacted him and he was around $25 per inch and 18-20 months behind.
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

CrowT wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:41 pm I got into custom painting crankbaits with an air brush several years ago and still feel like I’ve barely scratched the surface in techniques, getting colors right, etc. YouTube has several channels that the painters are like wizards. Truly mind blowing work. I have stencils for my crankbait patterns that help a lot but there’s a lot that goes into nailing color blends and tones.

This fella was out of Cookeville, TN that I found online. His online studio pictures looked really good on bass, and his prices were par for the replica course. There was an AMAZING replica taxidermist on Facebook that I am blown away by his work. I contacted him and he was around $25 per inch and 18-20 months behind.
It's unreal how much prices have increased since I use to do it. The last one I did I charged $12 an inch.
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
Tngrizzly_

Post by Tngrizzly_ »

Wow that's a nice fish
GOD, Family, and the Great Outdoors. What more can a Man Want
FLTENNHUNTER1
8 Point

Post by FLTENNHUNTER1 »

Nice!
If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
- Thomas Paine
1oz 10% Permethrin : 15oz Water = 0.667%
1oz 10% Permethrin : 20oz Water = 0.5%

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

www.usdebtclock.org