Am I stupid.

Pretty much anything you want to talk about
JCodd
10 Point

Am I stupid.

Post by JCodd »

We’ve discussed putting down wood floors in our house since we moved in. The stars have aligned and it’s a go. We priced some different flooring and while I was pretty dead set on regular 3/4 boards, my wife loved the laminate. I live the design of the laminate, and it should hold up better. Also, it’s slightly less expensive on the square foot. Anyone ever fooled with this stuff. I’m kinda handy. I plan on laying it myself. Gonna jerked the carpet out and just go. Hoping I can finagle the furniture around enough that I can work around it. The one thing that’s stumped me at the moment is my baseboards. Once the carpet is out and I see how low they are I’ll determine if I wanna jerk them out or not. Would rather not, but I want a clean look. I also don’t wanna paint as I can’t stand it lol. Any tips are welcome. I may just start tomorrow lol.
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Re: Am I stupid.

Post by WG Taxidermist »

They have some really good quality laminate flooring out now. I'm a big fan of the waterproof kind. What kind are you looking at imparticular?
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
Wiley
10 Point

Post by Wiley »

I put my own laminate down about 10 years ago and did it as you are talking about. I just moved furniture as I could to the other side of the room. Something to note is that the flooring doesn't butt up against any walls. Seems like the particular flooring that I used required 1/4" gap at all walls and I had to pull the baseboards because of that. Mine also requires the moisture barrier underlayment as I guess all laminate still does. The only other info that I can give is wipe up any spills immediately. Laminate will swell/shrink/separate if it stays wet for very long.
The older I get the more I understand why roosters just scream to start their day.
Rob R.
8 Point

Post by Rob R. »

Check and see if the flooring requires a vapor barrier.
Yeah it would look better if you can run the flooring under the baseboard. You can possibly rent a baseboard saw. Or just pop the baseboard off. Then install new baseboard, caulk and paint. But paint the walls first. Do you have crown molding? It’s going to need painting too. How are the ceilings? They should probably be painted before you install the floor.
Have I talked you out of it yet? This is a synopsis of how most of my projects go. 😳😳
Good luck and have fun.

Ohh I almost forgot. The doors and facings probably need painting too.
"Take me hunting daddy!"
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

WG Taxidermist wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:38 pm They have some really good quality laminate flooring out now. I'm a big fan of the waterproof kind. What kind are you looking at imparticular?
I think mohawk is the brand. It’s a cinnamon something color. Rather dark and looks like it’s been saw cut.
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

JCodd wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:32 pm
WG Taxidermist wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:38 pm They have some really good quality laminate flooring out now. I'm a big fan of the waterproof kind. What kind are you looking at imparticular?
I think mohawk is the brand. It’s a cinnamon something color. Rather dark and looks like it’s been saw cut.
Georgetown Cinnamon Oak Plank? If this is the color make sure you get plenty because it's discontinued.
https://www.mohawkflooring.com/laminate ... -Oak-Plank
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

Rob R. wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:01 pm Check and see if the flooring requires a vapor barrier.
Yeah it would look better if you can run the flooring under the baseboard. You can possibly rent a baseboard saw. Or just pop the baseboard off. Then install new baseboard, caulk and paint. But paint the walls first. Do you have crown molding? It’s going to need painting too. How are the ceilings? They should probably be painted before you install the floor.
Have I talked you out of it yet? This is a synopsis of how most of my projects go. 😳😳
Good luck and have fun.

Most of my projects go this way as well. Lol!

Theodore Roosevelt
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

Rob R. wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:01 pm Check and see if the flooring requires a vapor barrier.
Good luck and have fun.

Shh. Geez. You’re killing my spirit lol. The only places in worried at this point is if I drop my baseboards a 1/4-1/2 inch and need to paint that.
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Baseboards have got to come up to do it right. Hardwood does NOT go in tight against the wall, if you do that, IT WILL BUCKLE UP EVENTUALLY. You need an eighth to a quarter in gap at the walls which will get hidden when the baseboards go back down. Laminate is "floating" so youll need that gap with it as well. Personal choice here, but I use hardwood. Its not as "cheap" feeling as laminate, its refinishable, and it keeps ME in a job!
After ripping up the carpet, clean that subfloor well enough to eat off of! Once its clean, CAREFULLY lay down 15lb tarpaper, being careful to not overlap any of the seams. Put your hardwood down on top of it. Ive seen flooring people start in the middle and work their way outward. WE didn't do it that way, if your house is truly square its possible to start at one wall and work your way across the room to the other. There are ZERO transitions in my house. Its one solid floor all the way. If you put some thought into it, you can do this in any house. You just gotta figure the right starting point! You will have some rooms that you have to change directions in though. That's pretty easy if you know how to do it. You get a section of "tongue" and put it in the female side of the flooring, then simply start doing that room the opposite way.
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Im not an expert BTW, but when I built my house I was fortunate enough to know people who ARE experts and they guided me.
hillbillyfab
Button

Post by hillbillyfab »

Not a flooring guy, but have laid several feet of it for family and friends. Now with that said here's my little tid buet of advice, be careful where you step when you're laying it. I stepped on a piece of laminate that I thought was locked in, it wasn't. It slid, I slid with it and ended up with a pulled groin muscle. It's funny now, it wasn't funny then. 😡
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

hillbillyfab wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:53 am Not a flooring guy, but have laid several feet of it for family and friends. Now with that said here's my little tid buet of advice, be careful where you step when you're laying it. I stepped on a piece of laminate that I thought was locked in, it wasn't. It slid, I slid with it and ended up with a pulled groin muscle. It's funny now, it wasn't funny then. 😡
This is the advice I need lol
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

Flooring store was closed today. Oh well. Prep day I guess.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (409.25 KiB) Viewed 233 times
C66AD303-B396-4CD0-A8A2-B7A11BB929DB.jpeg
C66AD303-B396-4CD0-A8A2-B7A11BB929DB.jpeg (542.6 KiB) Viewed 233 times
C7941E21-6690-4672-92D7-02CF211D1F0B.jpeg
C7941E21-6690-4672-92D7-02CF211D1F0B.jpeg (356.26 KiB) Viewed 233 times
E58A33FF-35D2-4DD6-81E5-0AD1C051B5CA.jpeg
E58A33FF-35D2-4DD6-81E5-0AD1C051B5CA.jpeg (548.4 KiB) Viewed 233 times
Wiley
10 Point

Post by Wiley »

That discarded carpet is great for shooting house floors and the low part of the walls. I turn it upside down for the floor part so my office chairs roll easier. The bottom part of the walls get covered to muffle accidental contact noises.
The older I get the more I understand why roosters just scream to start their day.
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

JCodd wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:25 pm
hillbillyfab wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:53 am Not a flooring guy, but have laid several feet of it for family and friends. Now with that said here's my little tid buet of advice, be careful where you step when you're laying it. I stepped on a piece of laminate that I thought was locked in, it wasn't. It slid, I slid with it and ended up with a pulled groin muscle. It's funny now, it wasn't funny then. 😡
Seriously??? THAT is the advice you need? I laid out exactly how to go about doing this the right way, and the advice you need is to not fall on your ass? Maybe I will delete mine and you can get Oliver Windle Douglas to tell you how to put down a ******* floor!
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

Huntaholic wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:39 pm
JCodd wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:25 pm
Seriously??? THAT is the advice you need? I laid out exactly how to go about doing this the right way, and the advice you need is to not fall on your ass? Maybe I will delete mine and you can get Oliver Windle Douglas to tell you how to put down a ******* floor!
Actually, yes it is. It’s not like I haven’t done tons of research. I’ve read your comment a dozen times and agree with all of it. It’s also the same advice I’ve gotten from most everyone I’ve talked too. And not saying that’s it’s not great advice cause it is. Repetitive advice is needed so you know the exact checkmarks to make. I’ll also say his advice is great. I’d hate to not realize how slick that is and my 4 year old come in and step on a piece and get hurt. So yes, everyone’s advice is needed and appreciated!
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

Wiley wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:32 pm That discarded carpet is great for shooting house floors and the low part of the walls. I turn it upside down for the floor part so my office chairs roll easier. The bottom part of the walls get covered to muffle accidental contact noises.
I’ll probably save a piece for the barn. Maybe 2 since I’ve cut them into about 4 foot strips
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Im not really pissed, That's just me and the way I am, ask Scott! LOL. You do you, youre the one has to live with it. I don't care if you lay down a bed of straw to put the flooring on.
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

Good luck and have fun.

Every stinking thing you said it being played out right before my eyes lol. Me and the kids got most of it and the woman followed me last night pulling nails that stayed when I pulled the base boards. Little does she know, I don’t paint! I’m already over this lol.
Tngrizzly_

Post by Tngrizzly_ »

Good luck and have fun.

.rolling. .rolling.
GOD, Family, and the Great Outdoors. What more can a Man Want
Rob R.
8 Point

Post by Rob R. »

JCodd wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:38 am
Good luck and have fun.

Every stinking thing you said it being played out right before my eyes lol. Me and the kids got most of it and the woman followed me last night pulling nails that stayed when I pulled the base boards. Little does she know, I don’t paint! I’m already over this lol.

Glad I could be of assistance! 😂
Just thought of one more thing. When you get the new flooring. Check on the box to see if the new flooring needs to acclimate to your house. You may need to to let it sit a few days to a week before installing.
Happy New Year!!
"Take me hunting daddy!"
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

Rob R. wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:31 pm
JCodd wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:38 am
Good luck and have fun.

Glad I could be of assistance! 😂
Just thought of one more thing. When you get the new flooring. Check on the box to see if the new flooring needs to acclimate to your house. You may need to to let it sit a few days to a week before installing.
Happy New Year!!
The way it’s looking it’ll be sitting here a month before I get ready lol. Apparently you shouldn’t paint in the rain lol. She’s bought new paint. So it may be a bit before she paints lol. Not that it matters, I’m patching drywall