Hey MUP....

Place to share - learn - ask information about reloading
Wiley
10 Point

Hey MUP....

Post by Wiley »

Your opinion on once fired Remington brass? I have several pieces in .223 that I'm gonna load. I don't recall ever loading any Remington brass in any caliber. Possibly a little in .260

Also have a few Hornady once fired in .223 and about 200lbs of Lake City fired in M4s and SAWs
The older I get the more I understand why roosters just scream to start their day.
JCodd
10 Point

Re: Hey MUP....

Post by JCodd »

I know he has a load with Remington brass in 300wm that is under moa past 1000. I’d say you’re good to go
Wiley
10 Point

Post by Wiley »

JCodd wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:38 pm I know he has a load with Remington brass in 300wm that is under moa past 1000. I’d say you’re good to go
super And I meant to quiz you as well, Jason. I reckon I'm still excited about finding those bullets two thumbs
The older I get the more I understand why roosters just scream to start their day.
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

I’m not sure that I’ve used a lot of it. But I have used a bunch of Winchester brass. I’d guess they’re comparable. Biggest thing, like any of them is the prep work involved. I’ve added a primer hole deburring tool but still need a uniformer and possibly a neck turner. But for my needs, I’m going just fine with out them lol. Possibly the biggest thing any of us could do, and don’t is to anneal periodically.
Wiley
10 Point

Post by Wiley »

Yeah, the annealing thingy..... I just can't go that deep in the rabbit hole. I probably would never get the best accuracy from that LC brass that I have BUT, it's annealed :)
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

The worst thing about the LC is the primer crimp. Good grief! Cut out about 500 of them last year. Swaging is probably better but this ammo don’t have to do anything besides go bang lol.
MUP

Post by MUP »

Dang, you guys stay up way past my bedtime! Lol😁 Yes on the Remington brass! I think I have over 7 firings on the FACTORY cases that I've used in my WinMag. I just started with firing factory ammo and then reloaded them using RL 22 and 180 gr NBTs and NABs. These are hunting bullets and have a low BC of .505 IIRC and I was able to take them out to 1000 and shot a .44 MOA 3 shot group with that combo. Terminal performance had dropped off at that point that I wouldn't be able to shoot a large animal and expect the bullet to perform tho, but it's a killer 600-700 yard hunting load!
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
MUP

Post by MUP »

I also use factory Remington cases to load for my 06 with the same results as far as longevity. I've just had good luck using them. I also use WW factory brass in the WinMag as well, and I got some new Nosler brass and I'm loading 220 gr NCC bullets over H1000 in those.
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
Wiley
10 Point

Post by Wiley »

JCodd wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:25 pm The worst thing about the LC is the primer crimp. Good grief! Cut out about 500 of them last year. Swaging is probably better but this ammo don’t have to do anything besides go bang lol.
I have the Dillon Super Swage with small and large pocket swage pins for military brass crimp removal. Still adds another step but If that's the brass that I'm loading, it's necessary.
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

Wiley wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:12 am
JCodd wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:25 pm The worst thing about the LC is the primer crimp. Good grief! Cut out about 500 of them last year. Swaging is probably better but this ammo don’t have to do anything besides go bang lol.
I have the Dillon Super Swage with small and large pocket swage pins for military brass crimp removal. Still adds another step but If that's the brass that I'm loading, it's necessary.
I need to get one, but I have enough 223 brass I’m good for now.