It's still good

Place to share - learn - ask information about reloading
MUP

It's still good

Post by MUP »

At the competition shoot yesterday I took the old recipe that I had worked up a year or so ago to see if it still held accuracy, and it did. Enough to pop some balloons at 500 yards anyway. This rifle really likes the 140 gr ELD-Ms over a 44.5 gr load of Superformance, using Hornady fire formed cases. I still need to shoot for group to see how it's really doing but it was nice to see that after shooting so many other rounds thru it that it still went back to the load that worked several hundred rounds ago. Here's the golf ball that this load was able to hit at 500(476 actual) yards on a brutally cold Feb day. :)
Attachments
IMG_20220205_153412696~2.jpg
IMG_20220205_153412696~2.jpg (101.9 KiB) Viewed 90 times
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
Wiley
10 Point

Re: It's still good

Post by Wiley »

SWEET!! Too damn cold fer me to be atriggersqueezin yesterday!

I'm heading over to my range early afternoon to try the new to me 700 LTR .223 with 69gr SMKs and see if I can keep them inside the 24" Shoot-N-See :o .pray. :P

Or I may draw up some crosses on freezer paper to shoot. I haven't shot crosses in a long time but that's THE target that I get my best results from. I take a fat black marker and draw a 12" x 12" heavy cross on white paper using a straight edge for straight lines and right angles. This allows me to settle my crosshairs directly over the cross and even the slightest movement on my part casts my crosshairs onto the white background. It basically forces proper, firm hold.
The older I get the more I understand why roosters just scream to start their day.
MUP

Post by MUP »

I do a similar technique with standard 1" square with 2" black squares by aiming at the corners of the black squares. Really helps keep the POA tight.
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
MUP

Post by MUP »

At times I had to come off the gun to warm my trigger finger back up after waiting several minutes on target to stop flopping in the wind long enough to get a solid shot off. 🥶