This morning...

Who's getting after them?
Jethro
10 Point

This morning...

Post by Jethro »

Im sitting out here in the jeep...watching 18 hens and 3 toms work the area in front of my blind. They've been here for 45 minutes now....
Should be a short hunt in the morning.
IMG_20220401_075513.jpg
Sackett
8 Point

Re: This morning...

Post by Sackett »

I went to listen this morning.... only heard a few yelps. It is gonna be a little chilly in the morning. I can't wait!
In the end it is up to the man what he becomes, and none of those other things matter. In horses, dogs and men it is character that counts. Louis L'Amour in his novel, Chancy
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Sackett wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:14 pm I went to listen this morning.... only heard a few yelps. It is gonna be a little chilly in the morning. I can't wait!
Quit your whining and get out there! Ive killed them when my face mask was freezing to my whiskers, Ive killed them in a blizzard in NE, they aint gonna pay no attention at all to a little nip in the air!
Sackett
8 Point

Post by Sackett »

Huntaholic wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:20 pm
Sackett wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:14 pm I went to listen this morning.... only heard a few yelps. It is gonna be a little chilly in the morning. I can't wait!
Quit your whining and get out there! Ive killed them when my face mask was freezing to my whiskers, Ive killed them in a blizzard in NE, they aint gonna pay no attention at all to a little nip in the air!
You know I have done the same. Lol
It wasn't exactly warm hog hunting in that blizzard and getting plumb covered in snow or carrying your deer out in Montana.
In the end it is up to the man what he becomes, and none of those other things matter. In horses, dogs and men it is character that counts. Louis L'Amour in his novel, Chancy
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Sackett wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:34 pm
It wasn't exactly warm hog hunting in that blizzard and getting plumb covered in snow or carrying your deer out in Montana.
LOL Muscles did all the carrying, all we did was pack the horns!
Sackett
8 Point

Post by Sackett »

Huntaholic wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:59 am
I drug it down off that big hill side... of course in all that snow I could have just set on it and rode it down :D
BUT, i carried out the back straps and at least one shoulder in my back pack and carried the head. It wasn't a little deer!
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Sackett wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:18 pm
I drug it down off that big hill side... of course in all that snow I could have just set on it and rode it down :D
BUT, i carried out the back straps and at least one shoulder in my back pack and carried the head. It wasn't a little deer!
I still cant help but think we left one up there. I just cant see missing that 1st shot. The ONLY explanation is he stepped down in that hole between the time of the trigger pull and the bullet arriving there. I was a LOT better rested and better composed on that 1st shot than I was the 2nd shot.
Sackett
8 Point

Post by Sackett »

Huntaholic wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:30 pm
I still cant help but think we left one up there. I just cant see missing that 1st shot. The ONLY explanation is he stepped down in that hole between the time of the trigger pull and the bullet arriving there. I was a LOT better rested and better composed on that 1st shot than I was the 2nd shot.
There was what... 6-8" of fresh snow or more? There is no way Precious, with all that speed and power, would hit a deer and not leave blood in that snow. She prob would leave some hair, bone, meat and a body organ laying on the ground too :D
I know it is rare :D but for what ever reason you missed. You have seen me miss far more than I have saw you miss :D
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Sackett wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:49 pm
Huntaholic wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:30 pm
There was what... 6-8" of fresh snow or more? There is no way Precious, with all that speed and power, would hit a deer and not leave blood in that snow. She prob would leave some hair, bone, meat and a body organ laying on the ground too :D
I know it is rare :D but for what ever reason you missed. You have seen me miss far more than I have saw you miss :D
Oh I agree, it still don't make sense to me though. It was a GOOD shot. EVERYBODY misses, if somebody tells you they've never missed, they are either a bald faced liar or they haven't shot much!
Swamper
8 Point

Post by Swamper »

You got that right!! Hunt
Greet the day, make him gobble!!